Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a less messy way to change my oil , or should I say the effing oil filter.

I have the Harley filter wrench , and the special drain funnel , ya that wasn't much help for reducing the mess.

There just isn't much room for that filter wrench plus it only has an 8th turn span cut out that will allow you to remove it . There is not enough clearance to use it and keep that special funnel in place either which always makes the mess :mad

Last change I went to the K&N filter with the 17mm hex nut in the center , some engineer was thinking, user friendly as hell man. Don't know why ALL oil filters don't have this feature , I guess that would kill the special oil filter wrench market huh .

Did this with a Harley filter and wrench last change with poor results > I punch a hole in the end of the filter with a nail at 12 O'clock , spin it to 6 O'clock and let it drain awhile , then spin it off , the special funnel actually worked pretty good for once because I didn't have to use the filter wrench this time , just a 17mm socket so no clearance / interference issues :thumbsup

It wasn't with out a little wipe up but far better than before. Also I did the filter change on the stand not my jack this time = gravity on your side.

This worked out pretty well for me , not the usual big effing mess and 1/2 a can of brake clean , wasn't perfect but a much more controlled mess .

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
2-liter soda bottle, or the divider in a beer 30-pak.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Now Dave is thinking! Divider from 30 pack beer. And if u make a little oil mess after getting down to the divider, you won't even care . Crap no 30 pack. Off to store to get one. That will make the oil change easier in more than one way. ??. Stop off to get pizza too. It just don't get any better than that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
side of a 24 pack works too.....

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
I just changed oil 300 miles ago but with all the 30-pack talk I might just go change it again. Yum.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I use my new oil filter box for a oil tray. Rip the flaps off the end that goes under the filter and slide it tight. It folds automatically, and you just put a pan under the bike to catch drips. Of course, any piece of thin cardboard will work.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the special Harley funnel & filter wrench before I knew about the soda bottle / cardboard trick

Haven't been a beer drinker in a while , don't seem to ever buy liter bottles either and cutting up a Capt Morgan bottle is a little tricky , so No I haven't tried one of those simple methods yet ,keep forgetting about it . Guess I'm determined to get some use outa that $20 funnel :laugh

I'll try one of those tricks next change. Still like the ease of use with the K&N filter either way though plus Auto Zone has them on the shelf next to the Mobil 1 :thumbsup

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have that HD funnel and their filter wrench. I am able to use both successfully along with a 12" wobble head extension.

·
Wayward Son
23,317 Posts
I have that HD funnel and their filter wrench. I am able to use both successfully along with a 12" wobble head extension.
Read that the first time as bobble head. Was wondering what the eff? :think :laugh

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apparently I'm doing it wrong , I can get the job done sure ,but it's a messy ordeal :laugh

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
I don't have the funnel thing, but as far as the wrench goes, I just use it to crack the filter loose, then pull the wrench off and remove the filter by hand. I imagine this would work great with the funnel tool, no?

·
Bird Whisperer
1,742 Posts
Last oil change I fashioned a drip-catcher out of tin foil. It sorta worked.

I'm going to have to move beer drinking up the list and start buying 30-packs rather than the customary 18-er.

My garage floor will thank me.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Save your used hats for oil changes!
I recommend the saving used oil change funnels for hats. The oil residue adds additional insulation against the communication waves.

·
Wayward Son
23,317 Posts
I recommend the saving used oil change funnels for hats. The oil residue adds additional insulation against the communication waves.
And helps repel sweat from the hair strands.
Down side, you look like a cheap Fonzie impersonator.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts