Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys ...

I just bout a 2002 Sportsrter 1200 and wanted to do an oil change on it and had a couple questions to ask since I did not get the owners manual with the bike.

1. Where is the drain plug ?
2. I noticed that that oil cap had a dip stick type end to it ... is that used to measure how much oil should be in the bike ?
3. the bike has 8,500 miles. What kind of oil should I use ... (regular oil, simi-synth or full synth )

any help with this would be great !

·
Registered
1 Posts
the drain plug will be at the bottom of your oil bag. if it has a hose comming out of the bag and the hose is capped off on the end that is your drain hose just undo the fitting on the end of the hose and drain .make sure your filler cap is off while you drain it will make it drain faster. yes your filler cap has a dipsick it should have 2 lines on it fill to the top line. when you go to buy the oil ask the shop what kinda oil you should use. im not sure what they use in sportys? dont for get to change your oil filter and fill the new one with oil before you screw it on.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
You can get the owners manual and the service manual at a dealers, Order online at HD.com or chicago harley a discount parts. Youll need it in the long run if your going to do your own work.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
When they did my 1000 check up they used HD 20-50 syn. in the engine and trany.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
i run 20/50 in my 05 sporty with no problems. i like synthetic but i run my bike hard, it really depends on what you like and how much money you want to spend.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I think Harley is a blend however the guys who know more than I say yes.
Synth-3 is a blend, as far as I know too.... It's only 60% synthetic with the rest petroleum based. The issues seem to be with items 4 and 5, as they're not "considered to be" synthetic bases substances.

It's hardly worth $8.25+ a quart to me.........there's better oil on the market, like Mobile-1, Amsoil or Royal Purple.

I found this, from the MSDS sheet for Synth-3:

It's manufactured by Citgo Petroleum. Composition is as follows:

Component
CAS #
Concentration

(1) 1-Decene Homopolymer, hydrogenated
68037-01-4
50% - 70%

(2) Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary Mixture
1% - 10%

(3) Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

(4) Distillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7
0% - 20%

(5) Distillates, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic
64741-88-4
0% - 20%

(6) Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate
68649-42-3
0% - 2%

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you guys think I can us a a Mobil-1 type synth 20-50 that I can get at my local automotive store...

Or should I go with a Motul semi synthetic 20-50 motorcycle oil ?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
So you guys think I can us a a Mobil-1 type synth 20-50 that I can get at my local automotive store...

Or should I go with a Motul semi synthetic 20-50 motorcycle oil ?

You can use any quality, comparable motor oil you want in the engine, but in the primary/trans, you have to use an oil that DOES NOT have "Energy Conserving" writtin in the API rating seal on the back.

The reason being, is due to oils marked "Energy Conserving" have had the Zinc and Phosphorus removed and other additives put in their place that will cause your wet clutch to slip.

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this is nothing like my street bike ... sorry ...

I will need to do 2 changes ... one for the motor and anouther for the trans clutch ?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
So this is nothing like my street bike ... sorry ...

I will need to do 2 changes ... one for the motor and anouther for the trans clutch ?

Yes......2 separate oils, unlike most Japansese bikes that have one oil doing everything.

You really need to go buy a good service manual. Ontop of the pil changes, you'll need to periotically check and adjust the primary chain as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts