Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I got a coupon in the mail today from HD stating I can have one H-D 360 Oil Change for $39.95 (4 quarts of oil).

This sounds to good to be true, doesn't it? I ask my local dealer last time and they charge $300.

Note* this would be my K service.

Thank you everyone!

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
ask for the details. sounds like dino oil and possibly no filter change to me.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
They're gonna look for other things to fix

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,208 Posts
$12 filter. $35 for the Mobil 1 synthetic V-Twin. 5c for the o-ring. If it's time for the oil change, it's probably time for the service. Get the book. Do it yourself. Save a lot of bucks.

·
Retired citizen
24,534 Posts
$39.95 (plus tax) oil and filter for a Sportster, I can see that. Most dealers use the bulk 55 gal. drums of H-D oil plus the filter only costs them $5.00. Total out of pocket cost to the dealer, about $21.00.
As stated the tech will be looking the bike over to see if anything else is needed then the service writer will try to sell ya on it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The oil change at that price sounds fair if it includes the oil filter. The tech will look it over for any additional service items, as he should. It is your decision to make if you want any additional items serviced. They should look out for your best interests here. I would be upset if something was ignored and never discussed that led to roadside failure or additional expense. Chances are, they will ask about air filter service, brake pads, etc. Quick service items are what they will typically inspect to see if service is needed.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
1 very important thing to remember, make sure doing your own 1K service will not void any warranty you have on the bike (whether Manufacture or ESP). Not owning a bike that could even be under a warranty, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

If you are interested in what is normally covered in specific services, this Dealer gives a checklist for each bike and each service. This will give you an idea of what is included. Be sure to ask the specific dealer what is covered in each service and then determine if it is worth it to you to spend the money.
Service Checklists | Gateway Harley-Davidson® | St. Louis Missouri

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,208 Posts
It does not void the warranty to do your own service. Be sure to save all receipts for oil, filters, etc. to show if a warranty question comes up later.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It does not void the warranty to do your own service. Be sure to save all receipts for oil, filters, etc. to show if a warranty question comes up later.
Yea, the above is true. There is a Federal law that governs how this works.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is a federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301) that was enacted in 1975. It is the federal law that governs warranties on consumer products. As far as service is concerned, it allows you to service your vehicle at any legitimate shop or yourself, and you can use any brand of recommended fluids/parts/etc. You don't have to use an "official" dealer for the service or factory brand of parts.

A friend of mine had to mention(threaten) the law to a Jeep dealer that was voiding his warranty because of a lift and wheel/tires that had been installed on his Jeep. The dealer changed his tune when he was told about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. The dealer then did the warranty repairs, which had nothing to do with the wheels/lift/tires.

But if something breaks that you have modified, in that instance they can refuse the warranty because of the modifications to the factory parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts