Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything was working fine then in the heat going trough Vegas and it was about 90 we sat in stop in go for about 25 minutes.

Soon as we pulled into the hotel parking lot 5 minutes after traffic I noticed oil dripping outa my 2008 roadglide air filter cover.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
More than likely you have the oil level just a tad to high...my 04 would do that with the S/E breather if the oil was a "little " to high...and you might check your vent tubes to make sure they are on good and not stopped up...that all I got ...hope it helps...

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Also might be time to clean the filter...they will catch some oil and will only hold so much before they drip....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 07 Road King Classic in Sturgis. It turned out to be a little plastic breather hose that is inside the air cleaner. It split right where it is supposed to connect to the air cleaner. I ended up cutting the end off where it was split and reconnecting it. Problem was solved. Sully

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you guys refer to breather tubes, are you talking about the holes in the housing that holds the airfilter that bolts to the cylinders that have little holes going from the rocker head covers?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
When you guys refer to breather tubes, are you talking about the holes in the housing that holds the airfilter that bolts to the cylinders that have little holes going from the rocker head covers?
Nope, they are referring to the plastic tubes that attach to those and direct scavenged oil into the throttle intake. I think you just found your problem...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Nope, they are referring to the plastic tubes that attach to those and direct scavenged oil into the throttle intake. I think you just found your problem...

On my stock air cleaner, the breather bolts, that mount the upper housing to the cyxlinder heads, had arubber s shaped hose that plugged on the bolt nipple and fit in a hole into the back of the stock air cleaner. Probably the same on all the touring models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok looked in service book and I see the tubes, but I have a stage one screaming eagle air filter kit. Does this mean I might not have the tubes on this kit. I bought the bike how it is? Pulle air cleaner and mouting bracket off and I don't see and tubes.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mounting bracket does have two bolts from the rocker head covers with holes in them that allow oil to flow into the air filter/throttle body area, not sure if maybe with the screaming eagle air filter kit this is the replacement of the tubes?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Yeh the stage one kit replacea the tubes with a channel to direct oil back into the
Intake. The breather also channel any fuel that gets past the rings and into the crank case and the evaporates into the air back into the intake also. But i would assume if your getting oil, then your oil level is to high. Or one breatjer port is stopped up and creating excess preasure on other side.

·
Registered
930 Posts
If u take your air filter element off for cleaning, your breather tubes will probably be visible once its off. Depending on the cleaner, some have breather tubes that are located directly behind the filter, if this is the case they pop out so they can be cleaned easily. I blow into them and rinse off with dish soap & hot water mixed up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was just out cleaning my air filter. I noticed the rubber breather tubes and the inside of the air filter cover and the filter itself to be very oily. Came on here and did a search and found all this info. Not as hot as Las Vegas here in Ireland right now but much hotter than the last few Summers. Low twenties celcius. Never saw this thing with my air filter before. Reckon it must be like one of you guys just said, the heat? Bike due a service anyway so oils will be checked etc. Thanks for answering my question before I even asked it.:thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
The original OEM part. 2008 Dyna Street Bob FXDB.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
If I was running without air blowing across me, in Las Vegas, in the summer, for almost 1/2 hr, I'd have all kinds of body fluids coming out of me too.:bigbarf
Also at the stop/go situation, there is not a lot of oil running thru the engine either.
Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts