Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Deluxe (my first Harley) that seems to be very hot especially in summer. I live in Oklahoma and temps can get brutal. If I put an oil cooler on my bike with it help with MY temp issues? Last summer I burned on leg on the oil cap, so I now have a cover on it. Just don't want to not ride because of the heat. Any suggestions?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If I put an oil cooler on my bike with it help with MY temp issues?

Will an oil cooler help with your hot oil temps and make them.....cooler? Yes.

Is it going to make your engine oil a balmy bath like temperature? No.

It will help eleviate some of that heat, as will changing to a Synthetic oil, if you havne't already.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=267625

If you type the word "cooler" into the search engine, you'll see there have been some recent topics about just this issue.

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
Get a GOOD synthetic oil like Lucas, Amsoil, Mobile 1 in your scoot...mount an oil cooler that does not block airflow to the front cylinder like the sidemount JAG 10 core...If that's not enough look into the new thermostactically controlled blower fan that mounts where your cowbell sits from Harley.....I talked to a guy with one on his scoot last weekend, swears it drops 20 degrees from his oil temp...and the good synthetics will take 10-15 degrees too...every little bit helps...and the syn. oil doesn't break down till a much higher temp...

·
Friend of Al Swiners
178 Posts
I have an 08 Deluxe (my first Harley) that seems to be very hot especially in summer. I live in Oklahoma and temps can get brutal. If I put an oil cooler on my bike with it help with MY temp issues? Last summer I burned on leg on the oil cap, so I now have a cover on it. Just don't want to not ride because of the heat. Any suggestions?

After running an add-on cooler for about a year, I switched to a billet cooler because the oil lines on my external cooler were getting vibration damage and I feared a blowout:

http://www.billetcool.com/oil_cooler.htm

The billet cooler has NO moving parts and drops the temp ~20F here in south Texas :bandit

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Buy a temp gauge oil cap. Oil needs to get over 210 degrees just to evaporate moisture. Any temp reading under 270 should be fine.

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
The twin cams are designed to run hotter than the Evos....part of the EPA thing, run bike leaner for less emissions, which means hotter running motor... I use to run the HD softail oil cooler which mounts between the front downtubes...It mounted so close to the front cylinder,,(like 1/4" away), that it got me to thinking....How can an oil cooler work well to try to cool oil with the hot engine that close to it ? plus it is mounted right in front of the cylinder blocking airflow to cool the cylinder.... I pulled it of and put an aftermarket unit on the mounts on standoffs on both downtubes....now no airflow is blocked to the enginge and my oil temp went down an honest 10 degrees over the HD unit...They sell them in the JP Cycles catalogue...got mine at a local motorcycle shop...was $75 with the mounts...I left the adapter from the HD unit in place as it has the hookups for the (2) oil hoses to the cooler....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is a picture of my girlfriend's FLSTN--it runs about 210 degrees
even in our Nevada desert heat,in traffic.
Note the TWO Jagg oil coolers ! They work well.
Sorry the picture is so bad !

Attachments

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Here is a picture of my girlfriend's FLSTN--it runs about 210 degrees
even in our Nevada desert heat,in traffic.
Note the TWO Jagg oil coolers ! They work well.
Sorry the picture is so bad !
Are those ten rows Ralph? That would be what jagg is recommending to handle the EPA inflicted lean AFR of the Twin Cams.:thumb

·
Registered
50 Posts
........I asked her and the Jaggs are 6 row each for a total of 12 rows--6 on each side. She has a Yuill Bros. cam that has very long duration on the exhaust valve for cooling along with synthetic oil
and open intake and exhaust.
She rattles all this off --I hope I didn't miss anything because she stays cool and comfy when everybody,including myself is roasting. Oh, she said that she has a Screamin Eagle Ignition .
I think my bike could use a few of those features but after talking to the H.D. dealer, I'm afraid a package like hers is a bit too expensive right now---after just buying my bike.
I am beginning to understand the meaning of H.D.(hundred $) !
I thought it was just a joke------silly me !

·
Regular Guy
24 Posts
Get a Power Commander or your choice of engine management system and make the whole engine run cooler and better. Combine that with a good synthetic and you'll be golden.

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
the Power Commander is great. I have a PC USB lll on my scoot, but you have to know how to fine tune it for best milage/power etc...I have adjusted mine at the side of the road,,,don't want to be to lean, will cause heat and backfiring..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts