Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first H-D so have no idea but I’ll ask. Is there a tool available through H-D to grasp the tang on the oil dipstick to remove it? I’m sure a rag for protection and a pair of pliers would do the trick. But if there is a tool for it I’d rather use that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The dipstick in my bike sticks even if I tighten it fairly gently with my fingers. I don't usually need pliers to get it open, but sometimes it is a struggle. A rag or paper towel is needed if it is hot. Never saw a tool for loosening it, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came over from Indian. Still have one. Indian supplies a tool, but it won’t fit on this Road Glide.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I have noticed that the dipstick on my twin cam unscrews a bit easier when hot. It seems to stick when cold. I wear a pair of cheap (HF) mechanics gloves to help with the grip and the heat.

·
Retired citizen
21,780 Posts
I use a channel lock pliers on the tight ones, doesn't take much and no scratches.

·
Registered
558 Posts
When you get the dipstick removed, make sure the o-ring has some oil on it to help lubricate and seal it. Might not stick as bad next time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts