Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Have you used that? The HD wrench is specifically cut out to avoid damaging the crank position sensor. When I used my strap wrench on mine I had to be very careful of the alignment.

Just a caveat.

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I 've been using this about 2 years. I use this with extension and the ratchet. works fine. (and cheep)

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Kewl

·
Registered
411 Posts
2 years...........you call that a good testing time..........??? :D:rofl::D

I got the same issue with that pesky stator plug in the way. I could always go to a shorter filter I guess...........:rolleyes:

My solution to this was to grind away one section of the lip on the edge of the tool so it slides nicely past the stator plug without damaging it.:ride

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,196 Posts
I could always go to a shorter filter I guess...........
Yabbutt, then where you going to find short toilet paper rolls to fit the housing?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,196 Posts
I have seen a really tight filter, like tight enough to crush the filter with a wrench and not get it off. defeat those hex-hat filter wrenches.
Even if the filter crushes, this one is going to get it off, and it's relieved on the sides for crank position plug.
A SERIOUS Oil filter wrench
for a 6 foot breaker bar

·
COB
1,984 Posts
A SERIOUS Oil filter wrench for a 6 foot breaker bar

Must be a factory tool.

FWIW Harley has a relieved oil filter removal tool for something like $15.

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I have a picture. This is a 05 road king. The sensor is short. I saw some sensors on some models are longer. So I have to take it back, it is good for road king and DX with stock filter.
I think it is a good idea to grind it to fit. It is only $5.

That wix filter dose not fit the cap.:mad:

Sorry I can not upload the pic.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,196 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I`ve been using the k&n oil filters on my bike and truck,they have a 1 inch nut on the end of the oil filter which eliminates the need for a filter wrench !just a 1" socket and ratchet is all ya need.never had any problem what so ever with the k&n filters!!!! :thumb

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
Have you used that? The HD wrench is specifically cut out to avoid damaging the crank position sensor. When I used my strap wrench on mine I had to be very careful of the alignment.

Just a caveat.
FYI....always be careful when you're workin' on your scoot....:thumb:thumb

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
I just use my "kungfu grip" to take my filter off.........:rofl:

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,240 Posts
I usually just jab a screwdriver through it, if my white belt kung fu grip fails....but I'll have to change my ways with my new re-useable filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts