Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a coule of oil filters at a swap meet an are all soposed to be harley but some say they are 10 micron and the other ones are 5 microns.why and whitch one should i use, i have a 2005 ultra.

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
The 10 micron is what HD used on the 88" TC motors. When they came out with the 96" TC, they switched to the 5 micron.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,215 Posts
FIVE MICRONS?
Damn that's a pretty small particulate size to stop.
I think it has more to do with spectacular improvements in filter media,
than engine requirements.
Probably also has something to do with the 5000 mile oil change recommendation.

That bit of info might convince me that I cannot safely use a filter for 2 oil changes,
if particles 10 microns and 20 microns and larger can clog the filter and impede the flow of oil.

Cigarette smoke particles are around 50 microns, a fingerprint 55 microns.
For sure your drinking water isn't filtered to that quality.

I'll bet there isn't any oil film in the engine that is less than 50 microns thick.
Even 20 or 30 micron particles aren't supposed to be a problem in a 50 micron thick film.

Particulate sizes that small and smaller is why blackened oil is a skin cancer hazard to respect.
Don't get it on you lightly, or think big deal, it is easy to wash off.
Particles that small can go into your skin as easily as a cupful of sand
would penetrate a bucketful of marbles.

I've done some reading on nano-particlates, it's a booming new technology, but be very afraid, materials that were never considered hazardous before, because they could not be readily absorbed, are totally unregulated, even tho' in nano-particate size they can penetrate your skin or lungs as easily as smoke can penetrate a window screen.

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
The 10 micron filter is rated at a "nominal" value, meaning that it will catch 50% of the 10 micron particles on each pass thru the filter. I'm guessing the 5 micron filter is rated the same way.

The Amsoil TC oil filter is rated at 98.7% efficiency @ 15 microns, which makes it difficult to do a direct comparison, but I think its much ado about nothing. More marketing than anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts