Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just done 630 mile round trip to "The Hannut" chapter Belgian Beer Rally.Great time had by all, but I noticed when I stopped for fuel that oil has dripped from my K&N air cleaner.Different explainations have been given,some saying that this is normal.It seems to only have just started happening.Bike done 3700miles now.Any ideas as I don't want this amount of "oil loss" and it looks bad.:confused:

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I'm not sure which bike you are referring to, but unless they have changed things the crankcase pressure relief comes out of the back head and into the aircleaner housing. This can condense and then drip out.

Now if you have a substantial amount, like a half litre or something that is an entirely different story and you have a problem.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Could it possibly be as simple as an over oiled K&N Filter? Just a thought.

Yah, I used to over oil my dirt bike aircleaners on occasion. Especially when I switched to No Toil.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys, all good tips.I think it is oil vapour condensing, as its only the occassional drip.I'll have a good look today and let you know what I find.Could the fact that it has a fuelpak and V&H pipes, i.e. tuned a bit, be causing more crankcase pressure, coupled with little or no resistance from the K&N, therefore oil vapour not being sucked into the inlet tract?
"07 Streetbob"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well this was interesting.Removed air filter to find the rubber venturi into the injector throat was not located correctly and so most of the air going into the engine was bypassing the filter.So I think there would have been no vacuum in the filter.Also the breather tubes had not been refitted to the breather bolt nipples and had been left on the old filter.So I put them back after cutting them to a 45 degree angle directed towards the inlet throat.I'll see how that works.Give it a try tomorrow.:ride

1 - 7 of 7 Posts