Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another post I have engine oil coming out of the oil tank as I ride . I have a 1991 FXSTS springer . I tried a fix, and stopped and as my bike idled I pulled the dipstick out . Oil came chugaluguing out of the filler neck.. Since I never removed the3 filler cap while the bike was running I wonder if that's normal. The oil was at the3 full mark on the dipstick.. ..

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Never, never top up oil on a cold Harley!

When performing the oil change, leave out the last quart. Take the bike for a 15 minute ride, to get it up to normal operating temperature.

When you roll back to the garage, take 5 to 10 minutes checking for oil leaks and wiping off the crud from the oil service. Now pull the dipstick and add oil only to the mid to full mark. Never any extra.

·
Just Ride
4,152 Posts
Don't pull the dipstick while running, not a common practice.As 1/2 ton stated don't top it off.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To add, I had this issue on my 03 heritage, where after 30 minutes of riding, a stream of oil would be streaming down the oil case from the dipstick.

Turned out the seals on the dipstick were bad, purchased a new one from HD, and never had the issue again.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Tony , My fix is a contractor Glad bag cut to size to fit around the dipstick rubber . I have a dipstick on order ,meanwhile this works very well..
BTW my question was not answered on here . Only answers were for other things I had not asked .. Here is my question ,not that it matters now,
when pulling to the side of the road and at idle ,checking oil. should oil come chugalugging out the filler neck ? In 50 years of riding Harleys I have never pulled a dipstick out of an oil tank with a bike running .

·
Registered
804 Posts
To answer your question - YES. Engine is running and slopping oil everyplace it can.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Just Ride
4,152 Posts
What part of don't pull the dipstick out when running didn't you understand?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why would you want to pull the dip stick while its running? Its the same as with a car. You dont take the oil fill cap off while running if you dont want oil everywhere. Your bikes oil system is pressurized just like your car. So yes oil will come out of the fill/dip stick neck if you pull while running. I am pretty sure thats why its not the procedure described in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Hence the 5 to 10 minute wipe down before checking the oil level, per my original answer...
Let it settle any hot air out of the oil before checking... NEVER open fully warmed up running oil cap!

Open it cold when running to to verify the oil is actively returning to the oil tank sure but, never when hot.

Here is my question ,not that it matters now,
when pulling to the side of the road and at idle ,checking oil. should oil come chugalugging out the filler neck ?
At idle, means the motor is running! So yes your original question was answered....Originally!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts