Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when taking oil filter off the back plate came loose. how do I tighten this back up

·
Retired citizen
23,193 Posts
Do you have an oil cooler adapter behind the filter ???

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
yes there is
The inner cooler plate (assuming it is a jagg or that style) is held tight to the engines oil filter mount by a big lock nut that screws over the original oil filter "stump."

To tighten it, you will have to remove the filter and remove the four allen screws in the outer plate. You may have to remove the hoses from that outer plate in order to get it out of the way or they may move with it.

Once you get that outer plate off, it will be obvious where it needs to be tightened. I think it is a 1" nut. I would probably put some thread lock on it.

There is an "anti-rotation" part that is available through Jagg that keeps the cooler adapter from turning when you turn the filter on and off. I used one on my Heritage. It may be the removing of the filter that is working the adapter loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks. Sounds like a winner, will give it a try and let you guys know what happens

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the outer plate had 3 allen screws on the filter side and 2 on the other side under the exhaust pipe which were buggers to get to. you was right on the 1" nut. Anyway it's fixed, thanks again. I did put new oil lines on while I had it apart.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
He's...sniffle-sniffle...GONE, Hopper. He's GONE... This stranger came in and SHOPLIFTED Chas' advice and just plain ol' took off.

I feel violated...

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
He's...sniffle-sniffle...GONE, Hopper. He's GONE... This stranger came in and SHOPLIFTED Chas' advice and just plain ol' took off.

I feel violated...
It's okay. I got a decent laugh out of typing out "1" nut." It was worth it.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Haha!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopper, I'm a guy that has been riding since 1965, and ride every chance I get, which is where I went after fixing the oil leak yesterday Mongo. I did thank Chas 2 times for the info, what else can I do??

·
Retired citizen
23,193 Posts
Hopper, I'm a guy that has been riding since 1965, and ride every chance I get, which is where I went after fixing the oil leak yesterday Mongo. I did thank Chas 2 times for the info, what else can I do??
Maybe stick around for a while ...:)

·
Banned
71 Posts
Grow a thicker skin maybe.??
"They" are going to Rag on you no matter what you do . :mooning:

:coffee:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First time for a forum or maybe I should say "foursome", just didn"t know it was all BS. Don't want to piss anybody off, might need some more help someday.

·
Banned
71 Posts
First time for a forum or maybe I should say "foursome", just didn"t know it was all BS. Don't want to piss anybody off, might need some more help someday.
Join in on the "give and take" of it all.

If you take everything to heart, it'll just put you off . :blahblah: :blahblah:

:coffee:

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
ERG, it is customary to go to the new members section and post an introduction. You'll probably get chit from other members until you do.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Is the design for the HD cooler the same as the Jagg cooler?
Pretty much. Except if you are experiencing the same issue as the OP, you'll need a hex key that fits inside that hollow fitting that holds the oil diverter on the stump (I think it's 7/16"). It's round on the outside instead of a 1" hex like the Jagg.

But generally, they're the same design.

I think some of the older H-D branded coolers were actually made by Jagg, but I don't know when that stopped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts