Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night after riding home, I noticed a very small amount of oil on the right side of the bike (02 883 sportster). Mentioned it on a sportster facebook page, and someone said to check for oil on the bottom and behind the air cleaner. Sure enough there was oil, as well as a small amount inside the filter box itself.

Someone said breather bolt assembly in the head.

Any thoughts?? And is this a common issue?

·
Registered
79 Posts
HD routes the oil back into the throttle body inside the air cleaner because of EPA restrictions. A buddy of mine bought a used 2013 Street Glide and his filter was saturated. We ran a external breather from DKCustomproducts and that fixed the issue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
Stock breather?
Oil not over filled?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Going to an external vent is a good idea, but if the tank is overfilled it still could do that until you find the correct level.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air cleaner is all stock yes. I changed the oil about 3 or 4 weeks ago and made sure I put in the spec. amount. Air filter probably needs changed, but doesn't look all that dirty to me

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If there are no other problems, only a small oil film will coat the inside of filter, and sooner or later, if not cleaned, will drip out. Make sure to never overfill the oil, make sure filter is clean, make sure the crankcase vent is clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts