Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks to go before leaving for C-3, and the occasional drip of oil I was seeing has escalated to a lot more frequent markings of territory in my garage. I have tried to isolate this leak using mirrors and dampness patterns and such, and at least have ruled out the oil filter, cooler, and hoses attached therein, but seems I may have a problem with either a leak from a shifter shaft that was replaced once before under warranty, or there is an inner primary seal that has decided to say eff it.
Looks like tomorrow the head wrench at the local stealership and I are going to have a long exploratory on this engine, and make a decision whether the leak is not significant enough to worry about at this time and make the trip dripping oil all the way or it needs immediate surgery.
I thought I had a leaking primary drain plug, but the moisture pattern under the engine sort of rules that out. Checked all the engine juice levels and they are all good. More an irritant than an immediate problem, but not wanting to have this SOB let loose in the middle of BumFuqh.
Hope to report all well tomorrow or that repairs are in progress at same time!
BTW, I have to bring the Altima in for the repair on the vandalism on Monday, so timing here is a MoFo. This must be taken care of this week. Got some PFJ to make in ES.

·
Banned
71 Posts
2 weeks to go before leaving for C-3, and the occasional drip of oil I was seeing has escalated to a lot more frequent markings of territory in my garage. I have tried to isolate this leak using mirrors and dampness patterns and such, and at least have ruled out the oil filter, cooler, and hoses attached therein, but seems I may have a problem with either a leak from a shifter shaft that was replaced once before under warranty, or there is an inner primary seal that has decided to say eff it.
Looks like tomorrow the head wrench at the local stealership and I are going to have a long exploratory on this engine, and make a decision whether the leak is not significant enough to worry about at this time and make the trip dripping oil all the way or it needs immediate surgery.
I thought I had a leaking primary drain plug, but the moisture pattern under the engine sort of rules that out. Checked all the engine juice levels and they are all good. More an irritant than an immediate problem, but not wanting to have this SOB let loose in the middle of BumFuqh.
Hope to report all well tomorrow or that repairs are in progress at same time!
Wash the whole motor with "Greased Lightning" ( get it from the Dollar Store) , rinse well, blow dry . Dust all over with any baby powder of your choice (dust it heavy) , oil leak will show up at once . :thumbsup

Fastest way I know of to find an oil leak . :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Maybe it's just doing what grandpa shovelhead would tell him that he did, back in the day...

Good Luck!

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wash the whole motor with "Greased Lightning" ( get it from the Dollar Store) , rinse well, blow dry . Dust all over with any baby powder of your choice (dust it heavy) , oil leak will show up at once . :thumbsup

Fastest way I know of to find an oil leak . :)
Web, tried something similar to that, but still can't isolate the source. I'm pretty sure it is coming from the shifter shaft, but I'll know tomorrow if all goes well. Just POs me with the timing. BTW, I did re-torque all of the outer primary bolts, the drain plugs, etc. No luck.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Web, tried something similar to that, but still can't isolate the source. I'm pretty sure it is coming from the shifter shaft, but I'll know tomorrow if all goes well. Just POs me with the timing. BTW, I did re-torque all of the outer primary bolts, the drain plugs, etc. No luck.
I rode to Vegas and all over 4 states with a leaking inner primary gasket . It'll not hurt anything other than your pride . Keep an eye on oil levels and just ride that thing until you have time to fix it correctly . :)

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Web. So far the levels aren't dropping on the dipsticks or the visual inspections, but the stuff is coming from somewhere. I'll know better in a day or so after I have a sit down with the wrenches at the local place. I just don't like this sort of crap on anything I have that has moving parts. Too many years flying airplanes...a drip was a major concern.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks, Web. So far the levels aren't dropping on the dipsticks or the visual inspections, but the stuff is coming from somewhere. I'll know better in a day or so after I have a sit down with the wrenches at the local place. I just don't like this sort of crap on anything I have that has moving parts. Too many years flying airplanes...a drip was a major concern.
You have not pissed off your co-workers or neighbors now have you ???

Someone with an eyedropper of oil ???? :think

·
Registered
161 Posts
Kd...would it leak from the shift shaft seal while sitting upright? I'm really asking rather than questioning your assertion.

I would not have assumed (key word here) the oil level was that high while the bike was static.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kd...would it leak from the shift shaft seal while sitting upright? I'm really asking rather than questioning your assertion.

I would not have assumed (key word here) the oil level was that high while the bike was static.
I was making the guess that the oil comes out when I'm riding and works its way down then and when parked. I'm heading to the local stealership to get a better look at it on their lift, and if it is something critical, I'll leave it there for fixing this week.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
You're probably already at the dealership, but the way I have determined leaks is that I use different lubes in eng./primary/trans..
When cold, the oil stickyness, and smell help tell what it is. Formula+ stinks worse than Spectro Platinum 6 speed, and Mobil1 20/50 just smells like oil. Good luck on finding & fixing the source.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got back in ahead of the black clouds. The local head wrench says he had the same no luck as I did locating the exact source, but we both agree that the most likely culprit is the shifter shaft, so she undergoes surgery Tuesday AM, and I told him to change out every seal, gasket, bushing, etc. that is or could possibly go bad anytime soon while he's in there....might as well since he has to tear the primary case apart to get at the shaft and shaft seal. Probably wouldn't have constituted an emergency before the ES trip, but I'd rather have this box checked off and away from my mind so I can focus on getting out of focus.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Hope its simple Darryl, got my fingers crossed for ya.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bruce, I figure once Harry has the cover off the primary (inner and outter), we'll see if there anything else going on. Since all I have is a very slow drip, we're inclined to think it is just a seal or gasket that has given up living. Any seal or gasket in the case is going to be replaced. Probably will end up costing me in the neighborhood of $350 plus or minus a few bucks. It'll be ready to roll Tuesday afternoon, so come 11 June, I'll be heading north hopefully leak free.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Bruce, I figure once Harry has the cover off the primary (inner and outter), we'll see if there anything else going on. Since all I have is a very slow drip, we're inclined to think it is just a seal or gasket that has given up living. Any seal or gasket in the case is going to be replaced. Probably will end up costing me in the neighborhood of $350 plus or minus a few bucks. It'll be ready to roll Tuesday afternoon, so come 11 June, I'll be heading north hopefully leak free.
I think you'll be good to go, even if its a small leak in the primary. Rode a Sporty with a real bad primary leak... as in loosing the rear brake with so much oil, bike got me there and back.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I had my shifter shaft seal fail as well. Mine is at the dealer right now getting fixed. And it isn't cheap.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
If there's a drop of oil under my bike, and it's red, I know it came from the primary. :nod

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
If there's a drop of oil under my bike, and it's red, I know it came from the primary. :nod
What are you running that is red?

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Dexron ATF.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts