Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I have already replaced the oil tank since there are no gaskets. It is plastic and completely enclosed. 馃槶 they鈥檙e not the hoses. The leak is coming from up top from what looks to be a little nipple? I鈥檓 so confused!

Registered
I'm wondering how is oil getting up that high? I'm think that is the tank vent. The oil should never get up there. Have you over serviced the oil level? It says to check when HOT. If you fill the oil tank when cold, the pump is going to push the oil from the engine up to the tank, thus overfilling the tank. NEVER put the last quart in on a cold motor!
When performing an oil change, save the last quart until after you have started the engine and run it up to full operating temp. Then check the dipstick and DO NOT overfill. HD's are very fussy about being force fed too much oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering how is oil getting up that high? I'm think that is the tank vent. The oil should never get up there. Have you over serviced the oil level? It says to check when HOT. If you fill the oil tank when cold, the pump is going to push the oil from the engine up to the tank, thus overfilling the tank. NEVER put the last quart in on a cold motor!
When performing an oil change, save the last quart until after you have started the engine and run it up to full operating temp. Then check the dipstick and DO NOT overfill. HD's are very fussy about being force fed too much oil.
Omg! I think you鈥檙e right!

Registered
Now i has a question: How the heck did you get the metal cover off of the oil tank?
I was attempting to remove the outer cover off my Sportster, to see what that nipple was, that you referred to?
It wont move!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now i has a question: How the heck did you get the metal cover off of the oil tank?
I was attempting to remove the outer cover off my Sportster, to see what that nipple was, that you referred to?
It wont move!
The one where the dipstick is?

Registered
The one where the dipstick is?
There is a metal cover over the plastic oil tank. Yes the dipstick chrome thingy is in the metal cover. Item 21

Registered
Grab a flathead and you鈥檒l see a small clip under the cover. Just flip the clip and it should come right off.
I figured it was something stupid simple that i was just missing... Thanks for educating me! (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts