Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple days I noticed a leak under my bike. After cleaning it well I found it is transmission fluid . Appears to be coming from under the starter. It's not coming from the vent tube. Is it possible its coming from the starter gasket???

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
Not the starter, it doesn't go into the trans. Could be any one of the trans seals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only seal I see in the parts manual is the seal behind the transmission output sprocket, and that is not where the leak is. Lookin at the procedure for removing statred I see thatr you have to remove the primary cover to get to the mounting bolts.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I
Over the last couple days I noticed a leak under my bike. After cleaning it well I found it is transmission fluid . Appears to be coming from under the starter. It's not coming from the vent tube. Is it possible its coming from the starter gasket???
Look under primary.....if there's oil in the inside cup of the front sprocket, its your trans output shaft seal. Requires inner primary removal and front sprocket. You'll need an inner primary race puller, installer and sprocket nut socket.

No other seals other than a failed shifter shaft seal that would leak on that side of trans and all trans fluid.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave , not seeing oil leak form output seal , I changed that 2 years ago. Cleaned well yesterday then rode 25 miles at hiway speeds. Checked and found oil that appears to be coming form under the starter. I got a 2007 883 XL with 73000 miles .
Any additional thoughts???

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Case gasket? Unless there's something cracked not much else to leak, except seal and cover gaskets.

It's not blowing back from the vent line is it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
removed starter and found that there is a set of wires coming thru the case , I believe these go to the stator . is it possible that the oil is coming from this area?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Yes, the stator is bathed in oil. Don't remember the wiring being under the starter. I know I never removed a starter to remove the stator.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
skiman. It very well could be the issue. Wires coming from the stator comes out of case behind cylinder in front of starter if my memory serves me correct. Oil could be leaking from around this grommet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the help ; sealed the stator area , replaced the starter gasket ; put everything back together > bike starts runs > now to test ride to check if leak stopped !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved : changed starter found oil was coming from the starter. There is a hole on the bottem of the starter the oil was coming from. I loosened the mounting bolts of the starter armature and oil ran out . I had to call 3 different dealers to find starter. 200 miles and $400.00 poorer leak has stopped.

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
The starter attaches to the back of the primary, which shares the oil with the transmission. If the starter gets a bit loose, transmission oil will leak around the starter gasket.
Oops, just noticed this post is about a Sportster ! That does mount into the backside of the primary case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem solved : changed starter found oil was coming from the starter. There is a hole on the bottem of the starter the oil was coming from. I loosened the mounting bolts of the starter armature and oil ran out . I had to call 3 different dealers to find starter. 200 miles and $400.00 poorer leak has stopped.
Was the hole supposed to be there? Why was the starter full of trans fluid?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts