Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newb here and the last HD I owned was a shovelhead until I got my 2006 RK Classic. I have a small oil leak when parked on the right side jut below the cam cover. I replaced the gasket.......still have a leak. I cannot find any oil around the cam cover or any signs of oil leaking from the oil filter mount or the OP switch. I just find a drip of oil on the floor and the only spot on the bike that has oil on it is the frame just below the cam cover. I did try a search here but found nothing that matched. Any help is appreciated. Mike

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
Pull your air cleaner, and check for oil in the cover.

If theres oil there, you're over filling your oil tank.

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
Check the Allen bolts by the lower exhaust hanger below the trans trap door. The 4 large bolts tend to get loose then the trans trap door leaks, then the oil runs along the frame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the Allen bolts by the lower exhaust hanger below the trans trap door. The 4 large bolts tend to get loose then the trans trap door leaks, then the oil runs along the frame.
Good tip, I've found most of the oil on the frame rail, was thinking the o-ring on the clutch cable too. Thanks :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mystery solved, the clutch cable was rubbing on the engine case and wore through enough of the outer layers to allow oil to leak. When I bought this bike it had different bars and longer aftermarket cables and whomever installed them didn't pay attention to how the cable was routed.

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
:thumb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts