Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
old dude
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, first off I have a 97 883 hugger..problem is I have an oil leak I cannot locate, the funny thing is it doesn't leak all the time. I have noticed it both times iv`e had a passenger.i notice oil on back tire,around belt guard, and on frame under oil tank.. I have dad it off,checked can for leaks,found none.all hoses seem tight, like I said doesn't happen all the time?? can anyone shed some light for me, this is my first Harley, I`m used to the crotch rocket, but I sold that and baught this machine..i love it

·
Just Ride
3,206 Posts
Trade it in on a man's bike and maybe you won't have a leak or trade in your man card. :rolleyes:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
old dude
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see it wet around frame under oil can, not up front. like I said it doesn't leak all the time, tho. I wiped it all down. then tighten the clamp on the oil drain hose, so far no more leaks. maybe that did it??but I only noticed it when I have a passenger.

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
The breather hose on your bike runs up the right side of the frame under the seat. If the oil tank is over filled the excess oil will blow out of that breather and run down the right side of the frame behind the oil tank and drip from below the rear brake master cylinder. Also it will blow towards the rear of the bike when moving.

·
old dude
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aha is there something I should tighten, or should I recheck oil level.. when I checked it was between two grooves on the stick.,

·
Registered
139 Posts
Make sure your oil cap is screwed all the way in. The last sporty I had you had to really torque it to get it to seat.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Since it seems to happen, when riding two up, I think the oil tank is over full. Check the oil level when the oil is hot, make sure it's below the top line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts