Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently fitted 14 inch apes to my sportster, which make a tremendous difference to the comfort for a tall bloke like me. Of course, I have had to replace the clutch cable, I went for a stainless braided cable, 6 inches longer than standard. Anyway, the problem I have is that this new cable is leaking oil from where the braided stainless cable is crimped to the ferule before it goes into the conector which screws into the bottom of the primary cover, bottom left of the derby cover. Surely that can't be right!? I fitted the O ring supplied and the transmission oil level is just on the 'teeth' of the diaphram spring which I think is correct. Any help appreicated.

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Me thinks both you two may have a slightly overfilled primary,,,,,
Jes mebby,,,

Did you two put that Little metal "how does this thang fit" part back In right ??

The fluid can go into the cable casing and leak,,
Like If you lube yer cable up top,,what ever goes in can run down Into the primary.
Never noticed a seal In mine,,never had a leak cept the time I lubed the cable.
It stopped tho,,,

I like 3 In 1 oil,,,the original cheap stuff, dont take much.

Sorry, this Is the best I could come up with.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If it leaks, then the O-ring is either broken, or over tightened. The oil can only escape via the O-ring from the primary.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked the O ring and it's in sound condition. How tight should it be? I've just tightened the 9/16 nut until it locked up against the primary casing.......too tight maybe?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Well, either too tight it there's a leak between the cable cassing and the ferrel that screws into the cover.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Well, either too tight it there's a leak between the cable cassing and the ferrel that screws into the cover.
Yep, that's where mine is leakin. Cheap china cable. But it shore is purty, all shiney stainless....

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Clean the cable housing where it meets the ferrel really good to get any oil off. Put a thin layer of clear silicone sealant arounf the union of the housing and ferrel. There's very little pressure and it's just from oil slinging around off the clutch and chain.

·
Registered
119 Posts
... Anyway, the problem I have is that this new cable is leaking oil from where the braided stainless cable is crimped to the ferule before it goes into the conector which screws into the bottom of the primary cover, bottom left of the derby cover. Surely that can't be right!? I fitted the O ring supplied and the transmission oil level is just on the 'teeth' of the diaphram spring which I think is correct. Any help appreicated.
The problem isn't the "O" ring. The leak is between the cable and the screw-in ferrule crimoed to the end of the cable. There is only ONE cure I have found, and for me it has been working for over a year with no leaks. It is called "self-fusing tape", "self galvanizing tape", or "rescue tape". It is availible at many hardware stores, or online Welcome to Rescue Tape!. Just wipe the oil off of the cable, wrap around the ferrule and up onto the cable for abbout an inch or so and that's it. Wrap tight and it will work!

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As has been said, the O ring is irrelevent in this situation. The leak is between the ferule and the braided sheath. The tape idea, although worthy and evidently sucsessful is less appealing due to the asthetics of a shiny stainless cable with a Heath Robinson repair. Being a braided cable, would the tape not just defer the problem further down the cable? Maybe the only option is to resign myself to the fact that this brand new cable is faulty and replace it again.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If oil is getting between the cable inner housing and sheath, it'll eventually discolor the plastic protective covering and end up looking like crap.

You may want to consider call the place you got it from and see if you can get another one, or even show them that it's defective.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I think your right, althought this cable is stainless braid so no plastic covering. I have phoned the supplier and logged the problem, he's going to order another cable, it'll be here on Thursday, when I will ride the bike down to the shop to show him I'm not lying and get him to change the cable whilst I'm there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, here's the latest update.............
I returned to the shop from where I got the cable, the guys down there were really great, they coould see the problem and had a replacement cable ready to fit to the bike. 20 mins later, with the new cable fitted I left the shop and went to the local HD dealership for breakfast. On my retun to the bike park, I was dismayed to see a small puddle of oil under the bike, leaking from..... yep you've guessed it, the same place as the last cable had leaked. I phoned the shop to let them know what was happening and to my suprise they said, 'well we don't know why that would be happening, it must be that these cables are the cheaper ones'..........the only suggestion they had was to replace it again with a more expensive cable, infact 3 x the price of the one I have at present. Does it seem reasonable to you that they can sell an item which causes a bike to leak oil, a bike which previously hasn't leaked oil, and only offer to sell me another type of cable as a solution? I really don't want to have to spend nearly $200 on a cable, especially with no gaurantee that it will cure the problem.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Clutch Cables for 2003 Harley-Davidson XLH1200C | J&P Cycles

I wasn't sure of the year of your bike, but it's not going to make that much of a difference.

The most expensive braided cable isn't even $100. I paid $100 for a Barnett braided cable for my Dyna when I put 18" apes on it.

Not sure why they're charging double the price.... I'd just get my money back and order one for half the price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the link, my Sportster is a year 2000. The inflated price is because I'm buying from a company here in the UK, who are importing the cable from the states. Of course It'll be a little cheaper if I buy direct from the states, but because it comes from the states the price of anything Harley related is hugely exagerated here. Basically, the price tag you see in America in $ gets transposed directly onto the price tag we pay in £, so if your dealer marks a cable as $20 our UK dealer marks it up as £20 which at today's exchange rate (£1 = US $ 1.5446) = $30.89 + shipping + import duty, bit of a cheek really but that's the way it is. However it does make stuff from the states really expensive.
The other problem I have is that the shop I've been dealing with are THE place for Harley in my area, the only other place for 100 miles is the main dealer and I can't afford their prices, so I don't want to piss these people off too much. Rock and Hard place.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I hear ya. My bother and sister in law live in Clifton, Bristol. A radio controlled car battery was $80 there. I bought it here in the US, and sent it to him for less then $20 shipped, for the exact same thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had a customer with a late model Ultra Classic with tranny fluid pumped into the cable so much that when i slid the boot off the adjuster tranny fluid poured out. struck me as odd. i installed new cable, put in fresh fluid to correct level, then took it out for the road test before signing off on it Customer picked up bike and road it home. he called later that evening...still leaking. i go check it out. Leaking from drain plug. i reseal drain plug. customer is in garage with me. i mention to him there is dirtdobber nest in fins of cylinders that i cleared out and he should check for that shit regularly .......then the light came on.........i checked the tranny vent tube......clogged with dirtdobber nest. Tranny would build up pressure when it heated up causing it to blow out overpressure wherever it could .....tranny dont leak no more.....ZIP TIE A PIECE OF SCREEN CLOTH OVER END OF VENT TUBE

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had a customer with a late model Ultra Classic with tranny fluid pumped into the cable so much that when i slid the boot off the adjuster tranny fluid poured out. struck me as odd. i installed new cable, put in fresh fluid to correct level, then took it out for the road test before signing off on it Customer picked up bike and road it home. he called later that evening...still leaking. i go check it out. Leaking from drain plug. i reseal drain plug. customer is in garage with me. i mention to him there is dirtdobber nest in fins of cylinders that i cleared out and he should check for that shit regularly .......then the light came on.........i checked the tranny vent tube......clogged with dirtdobber nest. Tranny would build up pressure when it heated up causing it to blow out overpressure wherever it could .....tranny dont leak no more.....ZIP TIE A PIECE OF SCREEN CLOTH OVER END OF VENT TUBE
You just solved a 2 year problem for me. My cable has been leaking fluid from the adjuster boot for a long time and I couldn't find anyone that could figure out why. I just read what you said about cleaning out the vent tube and what do you know; I found a dirtdobber nest in there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts