Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my 77 ironhead is leaking out the breather. Took it to a shop to try and find an oil leak dripping down the kickstand, said it was old lines so replaced them oil change and filter, 2 miles from the shop starts puking oil from one of the pushrod tubes.. replaced cork seals now leaking out the breather!!?? Thought too much oil? Drained some still leaking. Just a dumb girl, any insight is helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, should have started with hey y’all.. my name is Jen, and my ironhead is called Eleven cause I was eleven when it was made and I was on it for eleven seconds before it tried to throw me the first time.. greetings from the Russian River in California!👋

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry, should have started with hey y’all.. my name is Jen, and my ironhead is called Eleven cause I was eleven when it was made and I was on it for eleven seconds before it tried to throw me the first time.. greetings from the Russian River in California!👋
[/QUOTerfilled oil does cause puking out breathers
Overfilled oil is usually the cause of any oil spewing out the breathers. Might want to check your level.
Yep, remember the Russian river. Been there, done that.

·
old scoot coot
5,056 Posts
jenrose, sometimes the engines with the oil tank will do what they call sump. this is when oil from the tank leaks past the check valve into the sump or crankcase. this occurs usually when the bike has been sitting a while. so to get a true reading of the oil level, start the engine and let it idle for a minute. then check the oil level. their should be none left in sump after starting and if the tank level checks over full then that is your problem. too much oil in the tank causes it to be vented into the air cleaner then leaks out from there. hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overfilled oil is usually the cause of any oil spewing out the breathers. Might want to check your level.
Thanks for the input. Drained some oil from the bag, still leaking from the breather.. I have a scavenger oil system
thanks for the input roadslug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jenrose, sometimes the engines with the oil tank will do what they call sump. this is when oil from the tank leaks past the check valve into the sump or crankcase. this occurs usually when the bike has been sitting a while. so to get a true reading of the oil level, start the engine and let it idle for a minute. then check the oil level. their should be none left in sump after starting and if the tank level checks over full then that is your problem. too much oil in the tank causes it to be vented into the air cleaner then leaks out from there. hope this helps. :)
Thanks I’ll check it out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts