Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok,after riding a mile pulled up at home and the breather puked a large puddle( like five silver dollars ) the oil level in the tank read less than halfway between fill and full this was after taking the screw out of the crankcase and running the engine at high idle for a minute.. it dumped at least a cup and a half from the crank case, I took the oil cap off while running to see if oil was getting back to the tank and it quickly filled and overflowed. Bike is running good otherwise. I think maybe I should drain all the oil from the tank and pull the screw from the case and run it for a minute, then start again with two quarts of oil instead of three and then check it after a ride around the block. My new gauge will be in on Friday then I can see what the pressure is. ???🧐
Got new gauge drained all the oil.. or as much as I could,emptied the tank and ran it to scavenge the oil in the crank case, pulled the plug on the bottom of the case literally a gallon of oil in my bike!!! A little p.o.d at the shop that was supposed to find the original leak and do an oil change and filter🙄.. anyway took the breather tube or vent tube off the check valve was stuck allowing it to blow and suck instead of just blow. Cleaned it up put it back put two quarts of oil in… went for a ride.. pulled up at home and DAMN!! Still coming out the tube and the new gauge reads zero pressure! Checked both the new and old gauge with compressed air both work. Oil is being returned to tank so pump is working, i pulled the unscrewed the steel line that feeds the rocker to see if oil was getting there nothing. Pulled the bolt where the gauge goes into the rocker nothing!!?? Maybe the little channel that delivers oil to the rocker is plugged? Aaaargg sooo frustrating!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Jen, can you get a picture of the "line that feeds the rocker" also, a pic of the "check valve screw" and one more of the "case drain plug'? I want to make sure we are talking apples to apples not, apples to oranges. I am concerned about this case drain..

Sportsters don't drain oil from the bottom of the engine, just from the elevated oil tank. There has to be a check valve (in good working condition) or all of the oil in the tank will instantly drain to the engine and fill the crankcase with unwanted oil. The crank can only handle a little oil. Too much and it will get very expensive quick!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Jen, can you get a picture of the "line that feeds the rocker" also, a pic of the "check valve screw" and one more of the "case drain plug'? I want to make sure we are talking apples to apples not, apples to oranges. I am concerned about this case drain..

Sportsters don't drain oil from the bottom of the engine, just from the elevated oil tank. There has to be a check valve (in good working condition) or all of the oil in the tank will instantly drain to the engine and fill the crankcase with unwanted oil. The crank can only handle a little oil. Too much and it will get very expensive quick!
I can’t figure out how to post pics. It won’t let me access my camera roll on my phone, or I woulda posted pics a while ago..

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Click on the "insert image" icon next to the chain link lookin' thing.. Then click the box, that will open to your camera roll. (y)

Edit: It can only play one pic at a time, so to post multiple picks, just click the insert image again. This will continue on the same post for at least 4 or 5 pics. More requires another post.

Reactions: Gorillathehun

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Click on the "insert image" icon next to the chain link lookin' thing.. Then click the box, that will open to your camera roll. (y)

Edit: It can only play one pic at a time, so to post multiple picks, just click the insert image again. This will continue on the same post for at least 4 or 5 pics. More requires another post.
Wow! Think I finally figured out the picture thing. And I realize I emptied the transmission oil when I pulled that big hex bolt on the bottom of the case. 🤪🥸 good thing I only went a mile!.. so now the question is do I run the same oil in the case as the oil tank? I use 60 weight, will like penzoil 20 50 work? Do the two oils co-mingle at all? Either way I’m still gonna be dealing with the original problem. I’ll take some pics tonight when I go downstairs to work on it.. tommorrow is my day off, hopefully I can get a short ride in. Hey thank you and gorillathehun and tommytailspin and everyone else for sharing your knowledge with me. I am not worthy, oh wise ones!👍
I can’t figure out how to post pics. It won’t let me access my camera roll on my phone, or I woulda posted pics a while ago..

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Wow! Think I finally figured out the picture thing. And I realize I emptied the transmission oil when I pulled that big hex bolt on the bottom of the case. 🤪🥸 good thing I only went a mile!.. so now the question is do I run the same oil in the case as the oil tank? I use 60 weight, will like penzoil 20 50 work? Do the two oils co-mingle at all? Either way I’m still gonna be dealing with the original problem. I’ll take some pics tonight when I go downstairs to work on it.. tommorrow is my day off, hopefully I can get a short ride in. Hey thank you and gorillathehun and tommytailspin and everyone else for sharing your knowledge with me. I am not worthy, oh wise ones!👍
NO! Never ever put automotive oil in a motorcycle! (automotive oils have wear inhibitors and stuff to help reduce friction in car engines, cars do NOT have wet clutches.)

I doubt you have an owners manual with your bike being a 1977 Iron head. I have no idea if a HD service manual can be purchased for it.. But Call a H.D. dealership, ask for parts... Ask if one can be ordered for it! They are Model and year specific. If they can not order one, put out a "looking to buy" for one on craigslist, facebook market place, and every other on line store that you can think of... Someone somewhere has that book and they don't need it!

I absolutely hate even typing this: "Worst case: get a chiltons or clymer manual for a 1977 Sportster" (However, take what these books say with a grain of salt! ESPECIALLY TORQUE VALUES! They "should" give you a guideline of oils and quantity. They will also point out what plug drains what! (I detess these books!)

Oil is a slippery subject on any forum!
Countless battles over this brand or that...
To keep this simple:
I would run straight grade 60 wt (winter) 80 wt (summer). From either a HD dealership or a independent motorcycle parts desk.
So what will work, and not kill the clutch, that's available at O'Reilly's : Mobile V Twin 20-50 Motorcycle oil.
Sportsters engines share oil between the engine and transmission. The Primary is its one reservoir, thus it's serviced separately. (Unlike every other HD where the engine, transmission and primary are each independent of one another.)

Sorry for being long winded on this response, but it is difficult to explain some of this "short form". I'm tryin' It's been a long, long time since i worked on 77 anything! (Hell, i graduated HS in 1977) :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Good Morning Jen,
Looky what i found: This is spot on for your application!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good Morning Jen,
Good Morning Jen,
NO! Never ever put automotive oil in a motorcycle! (automotive oils have wear inhibitors and stuff to
Good Morning Jen,
Good Morning Jen,
help reduce friction in car engines, cars do NOT have wet clutches.)

I doubt you have an owners manual with your bike being a 1977 Iron head. I have no idea if a HD service manual can be purchased for it.. But Call a H.D. dealership, ask for parts... Ask if one can be ordered for it! They are Model and year specific. If they can not order one, put out a "looking to buy" for one on craigslist, facebook market place, and every other on line store that you can think of... Someone somewhere has that book and they don't need it!

I absolutely hate even typing this: "Worst case: get a chiltons or clymer manual for a 1977 Sportster" (However, take what these books say with a grain of salt! ESPECIALLY TORQUE VALUES! They "should" give you a guideline of oils and quantity. They will also point out what plug drains what! (I detess these books!)

To keep this simple:
I would run straight grade 60 wt (winter) 80 wt (summer). From either a HD dealership or a independent motorcycle parts desk.
So what will work, and not kill the clutch, that's available at O'Reilly's : Mobile V Twin 20-50 Motorcycle oil.
Sportsters engines share oil between the engine and transmission. The Primary is its one reservoir, thus it's serviced separately. (Unlike every other HD where the engine, transmission and primary are each independent of one another.)

Sorry for being long winded on this response, but it is difficult to explain some of this "short form". I'm tryin' It's been a long, long time since i worked on 77 anything! (Hell, i graduated HS in 1977) :ROFLMAO:
NO! Never ever put automotive oil in a motorcycle! (automotive oils have wear inhibitors and stuff to help reduce friction in car engines, cars do NOT have wet clutches.)

To keep this simple:

Good Morning Jen,
call a waaambulance..Eleven still spitting puddles.. got to ride a little at least. Guess the next thing to do is pull the oil pump🙇‍♀️🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
42,931 Posts
Incorrect. Oil is shared between transmission and primary. Engine oil is separate.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Incorrect. Oil is shared between transmission and primary. Engine oil is separate.
WTF was i thinkin? I stand corrected! Thank you for the re-school... (while i'm sitting here with the sporty literally 8' feet in front of me) :rolleyes: Brain fart, that's my story and i'm sticking to it! o_O

21 - 31 of 31 Posts