Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed a few drops on the garage floor tonight...Not a gusher..but at 350 miles...kind of a bummer...:mad. Cant squeeze my fat head far enough under it to see where it's leaking from..Guess i'm calling the dealer tomorrow...Is there a common place they like to leak from..? (103 twin cam) It's more under the gearbox than the motor.

·
Registered
11,993 Posts
Reach under with a mirror and use a flashlight to reflect the light up. May see where its coming from.

·
Just Ride
3,259 Posts
Under warranty,off to the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE......

Just got off the phone with the Service Manager. He said to bring it in, they will look at it, but it is "normal" for them to drip a little until the seals seat...? Anybody else ever hear this...?

·
Banned
71 Posts
UPDATE......

Just got off the phone with the Service Manager. He said to bring it in, they will look at it, but it is "normal" for them to drip a little until the seals seat...? Anybody else ever hear this...?
It is NOT normal...............

·
Registered
11,993 Posts
Does the sun rise in the WEST ?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
your tires are safe even if not fully mounted- it will leak till gaskets seat-

if you hear either of those check your fanny for a ham or rack of ribs maybe even a brisket -because your getting plenty of smoke blown up there -
i would ask the dealer what type of wood they use for the smoke- it effects the flavor

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,469 Posts
New bike? Leak? Warranty time!

I love some of the BS stuff that gets posted about service manager answers to these problems. Definitely will remember the answer about asking them what kind of wood they use. Just gotta wait for an opportunity to use it. Shouldn't be long coming.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would love to write a book on some of the crap that comes out of
certain service managers mouths. Like we just fell off of some yam wagon.
Hopefully it's something minor
Good luck

·
Banned
71 Posts
I would love to write a book on some of the crap that comes out of
certain service managers mouths. Like we just fell off of some yam wagon.
Hopefully it's some thing minor
Good luck
There was a article written awhile back by someone who makes a career of "fixing" service departments at Dealerships . In this article , he advocates the practice of discouraging any work except standard servicing of motorcycles ( oil changes, tire changes ) . He advocates putting off to the back of the line anything that takes over 2 1/2 hours to do . I'll see if I can find it and post a link .

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
no leaks on mine till I had to have the top end replaced (under warranty) just my 02 try to talk to the teck that's doing the work some times the shoot straight the service managers not so much as a rule let us know how it turns out

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
It's normal for Harley service departments to tell you that ANY issue you have with a harley is normal.

Not trying to concern you but can imagine the quality of work you'll get from a shop that feels a leak on a new motor is "normal"?.

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
Glad my motor isn't new, else I wouldn't be able to park it inside on the carpet over the winter!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Many years ago a buddy bought a new glide. When he parked it at work I would dribble a little used oil on the bike and put a little under it. He had it to the dealer 3 times for a none existant oil leak. The funny thing was when I asked him about it he told me it only leaked when he rode it to work. Then after the 6th or 7th time I did it I had rebuilt the final drive in a D9 Cat dozer. I put a bunch of the loose bearings under the bike with the oil. He finaly caught on that someone had been messing with him. He did get even with me many years later but that is another story.

·
Registered
11,993 Posts
Many years ago a buddy bought a new glide. When he parked it at work I would dribble a little used oil on the bike and put a little under it. He had it to the dealer 3 times for a none existant oil leak. The funny thing was when I asked him about it he told me it only leaked when he rode it to work. Then after the 6th or 7th time I did it I had rebuilt the final drive in a D9 Cat dozer. I put a bunch of the loose bearings under the bike with the oil. He finaly caught on that someone had been messing with him. He did get even with me many years later but that is another story.
:rollin:laugh:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 47 Posts