Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,486 Posts
Not uncommon. Make sure the filter is clean. See what happens in a few miles down the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. First Harley. Had me worried. The guy before me didn't ride it much. Will it do this all the time or will it go away? Should I worry about loosing much oil and needing to add some?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Clean or replace the filter. Then follow H-D's instructions for checking oil level. Make very sure not to overfill!! Keep the oil level just shy of the top mark, when checked HOT.

·
Registered
39,575 Posts
Probably overfilled the oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so if that's the case should I drain some oil or just let it blow out? To much oil could cause other problems yea?

·
EX-VIRGIN
1,760 Posts
I just had the same problem. 2500 miles on a fresh K&N filter and I started to see oil blow. Freaked me out. Like others have said, clean it.........fixed my problem (the oil blow that is, the rest are still outstanding LOL)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Take a look at your spark plugs ! My manual says two and a half quarts with just a filter change , three if engine was disassembled . For some mechanics that's just too much trouble & just go ahead and put all three quarts in . So now you have ruined your K&N air filter , have oil all over everything including you & the bike . Spark plugs are dripping with oil , and all that excess oil has coated your throttle body -intake manifold-combustion chamber-valves and piston crown ! The engine breather umbrella's are probably shot also . This is why it pays to have a manual & to learn how to DIY !

·
Banned
71 Posts
Take a look at your spark plugs ! My manual says two and a half quarts with just a filter change , three if engine was disassembled . For some mechanics that's just too much trouble & just go ahead and put all three quarts in . So now you have ruined your K&N air filter , have oil all over everything including you & the bike . Spark plugs are dripping with oil , and all that excess oil has coated your throttle body -intake manifold-combustion chamber-valves and piston crown ! The engine breather umbrella's are probably shot also . This is why it pays to have a manual & to learn how to DIY !
Geeezzzzeeee man....scare the fella a little bit why don't ya . :spank:

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
As stated before- check your oil level. Drain some out if necessary. It is a pain to drain a little out at a time but it can be done and if you drain too much just be sure not to over fill when bringint it up to full. Might want to clean or replace the air filter if necessary since it is saturated and may continue to drip for a while.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
The oil in the air filter is a normal function of the engine. The head breathers separate most of the oil from the air that gets expelled and the residual mist goes into the air cleaner back plate to get recycled through the engine. In an ideal world this would work perfectly but in the real world some oil mist gets stuck in the air filter. Eventually the filter gets clogged and starts dribbling oil onto the engine covers, time to clean the filter.
Unless you ride in extremely dusty conditions I wouldn't oil the air filter, remember your head breathers are taking care of that for you !

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sorry , guess I was a little too harsh . Didn't mean to discourage you but all of the above is possible maybe not probable though .
Good luck ....hope everything works out ok for ya .

Ride Safe & Ride Righteous !

·
Registered
147 Posts
friend of mine bought a new 2010 ultra from local harley dealership loved the bike no problems he changes his own oil. in 2011 with 10k on the bike he had the same dealership do a big bore kit he also purchased the extended warranty. just after breakin it started leaking oil out the aircleaner down the side of bike onto the pipe = big mess. he took it to harley they cleaned it up put in new aircleaner told him he must have put in too much oil on last change. within 30 miles oil was dripping out of cleaner - he took it back they cleaned everything put in a new airfilter under warranty told him to run the bike 1/2 quart low oil will fix the prob. 30 miles later same leak took it back harley told him they may have miss alligned an oil control passage when they did the big bore kit - they kept the bike for a week told him they tore it down re assembled fixed the prob - 30 miles later same leak took it back they told him there was nothing they could do sorry - he told them I am not leaving this dealership with a bike that leaks oil on my garage floor - after a few days the dealer told my friend that harley corp had opened a special ticket to where they get directly involved in solving the problem - two weeks later they called asked him to come down to dealership they told him they had no idea what was wrong causing the leak - harley corp wanted the bike back and authorized the dealership to give him a full refund on everything including big bore kit and extended warranty toward the purchase of a new bike - he rode home on a new 2012 ultra limited. if you find the problem please let me know thanks

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
WOW ! Its always a good idea to cover your azz for when things like this happen . It only cost a little more to go first class ! Would also like to here the outcome .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts