Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 02 RK.Was traveling the other day in stop and go traffic for awhile when traffic broke a motored on only to find out I had oil coming out from behind the air cleaner and all over the RS of the bike. Needless to say I had the old gal flatbeded home. Started it the next day and it only took a minute for the oil to begin flowing from behind the aircleaner again. Any ideas out there just what be causing this?

·
Retired citizen
23,398 Posts
That most likely is accumulated oil from the head breathers. When the AC gets saturated the oil has to go somewhere. The AC needs periodic cleaning to avoid the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oil leak

Oil was not over filled. Would the bike running hot from traffic cause the issue with being saturated with oil as you say?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Replace the old style head breathers with the newer ones and enlarge (next size larger bit) the two oil return holes that are under the breathers you'll never have that issue again.

·
Retired citizen
23,398 Posts
Agreed, the new style low profile breathers function much better than the early style.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oil leak

Agreed, the new style low profile breathers function much better than the early style.
So I am assuming that this is a common issue and performing this simple upgrade should resolve the issue of oil coming out of the air cleaner. This is the first time I've seen this on my bike so I just want to be sure. I see no oil coming from any other location other than the cleaner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replace the old style head breathers with the newer ones and enlarge (next size larger bit) the two oil return holes that are under the breathers you'll never have that issue again.
OK got he bike up on the stand removed the AC, the filter was loaded with oil. Started the bike and saw a little dribbling out of the 2 breather vent bolts. Reved it a few times and it seem to mist alittle. I'm guessing this is normal. So i"m gonna do the upgrade but just where are the 2 return holes you are taking about under the breathers??

I just looked up that kit# and the parts look nothing like what is on the bike now. The bolts stock look like grease fittings the 2 in the kit look like they do not have that feature. Is that kit going to work a a fuel injected system? there is also a flat part included that in the kit I'm not sure of

·
Registered
95 Posts
On my new build (95) it pissed oil so bad it liked to have ruined great port job by Dunn's Performance. After hours of research I learned that with the HV oil pump the oil in the heads was pooling and not getting back down fast enough so it blew it out the breathers. The answer I got was new style breathers (part# you got) and enlarge the 4 holes (2 per head) that are under the breathers. Be sure to use the bolts that come with the kit because the new breathers are not as thick as the old ones, and they look totally different but with the same foot print. Might not fix your problem, but it sure as sheep sh*t fixed mine. Good Luck ! FI yes

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
We enlarge those drains, on EACH and every job we do here, and have for about a decade.
.125" drill.
Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts