Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '91 Heritage that has sat in my garage (not run) for a couple of years and has been leaking oil, The oil tank is empty and I know that the oil pump ball valve will let oil pass by over time and pass through the sprocket bearing into the primary case. In the old days it would end up on the floor but with a sealed primary, that's where I think it collected. There a trail of oil from the primary inspection cover down to the frame rail and drips from there. Now the question is considering the two oils have mixed what problems will the motor oil cause to the clutch ?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I know that the oil pump ball valve will let oil pass by over time and pass through the sprocket bearing into the primary case.
Let`s clarify this so that you know what actually happens...

Oil leaks past the check ball in the oil pump, and goes through the pump down into the crankcase, not the primary.

·
Proud Infidel
2,773 Posts
No. It's isolated in the crankcase. Evos never had a dry primary.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply Alan. The dry primaries were pre-evos and like I said the motor oil would bypass the pump, fill the crankcase and leak through the sprocket bearing into the primary onto the floor. The old inner primaries had a drain pipe in the center bottom to let out any oil that accumulated in the primary case. How much oil leaked into my primary it was enough to seep through the belt tensioning cover in the primary cover and onto the floor. In that case the oil had to cover maybe half of the clutch,and that's what I am asking about is if the motor oil will have any affect on the clutch as it is different from the primary oil. Thanks again, Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's probably because it sat on the kickstand for four years without being touched and it only has 7550 miles on it.

·
Retired citizen
23,096 Posts
Just an FYI, you can run engine oil in a wet primary ... 20W50 ! Or you can use ATF in the primary so there's a different colored oil in case ya gotta chase leaks.
I use 3 different oils on a complete oil change. 20W50 in the engine, ATF in the primary and 85/140 gear lube in the trans. If there's a leak I know what's leaking by the oil color !

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Just an FYI, you can run engine oil in a wet primary ... 20W50 ! Or you can use ATF in the primary so there's a different colored oil in case ya gotta chase leaks.
I use 3 different oils on a complete oil change. 20W50 in the engine, ATF in the primary and 85/140 gear lube in the trans. If there's a leak I know what's leaking by the oil color !
Make sure what ever motor oil you use is compatible with a wet clutch

Reactions: SCHMIDTY
1 - 14 of 14 Posts