1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Explain hot.

"check oil with bike on jiffy stand"

"oil level hot"

Do you check it immediately after shut down or do you give it a few minutes for oil drain down.

Anybody calibrated their dip stick ?

If I'm down 2 "X's" or hash marks or whatever they are, how much oil do I add, I do not want to over fill.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hot to me is take a 15 min ride and I just shut it off and check it right then...I keep mine a little below the full hot or Ill have oil coming out the oil tank..

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Oil level hot means right after a nice ride, right when you turn it off. Check it then.
Also, the whole interval from the bottom line to the top is one quart. Knowing that, just do some mental division and you should be close to what you need to add.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

the whole interval from the bottom line to the top is one quart
So that means I'm down about 1/2 quart after 3k miles, I'll take that any day.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Check your owners manual. Mine says to check oil on a warm engine after allowing the (already warm) engine to idle for one or two minutes.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
It varies on softail models as to check bike level or on the jiffy stand , found out mine is supposed to be checked level NOT on the jiffy stand. Since my dipstick is fixed / doesn't move it's to be checked level , had been overfilling mine causing it to drip oil after riding it cause I was checking it on the jiffy stand.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
Viper, this is what an 08 Heritage Softail states:

Oil Level Cold Check
Perform engine oil level COLD CHECK as follows:
1. For preride inspection with the vehicle on jiffy stand on level ground, remove and wipe off the dipstick. Install the dipstick back into the oil tank.

NOTE: For FXCW/FXCWC models, thread the filler cap onto the spout until tight. On all other models, push the filler cap until fully seated in the spout.

2. See Engine Oil Level: FXCW/FXCWC Models (FXCW/FXCWC) or Engine Oil Level: Softail Models (all other models). Remove the dipstick and verify oil registers on the dipstick between the two marks.
a. If oil level registers on the dipstick, proceed to Oil Level Hot Check.
b. If oil does not register on the dipstick, proceed to step 3.

3. With the dipstick removed, look into the dipstick opening and verify the oil level is at the filler neck weld.
a. If the oil level is at or near the filler neck weld, proceed to Oil Level Hot Check.
b. If the oil level is not at or near the filler neck weld, add only enough oil to bring the level to the filler neck weld. Then proceed to

Oil Level Hot Check.
Perform engine oil level HOT CHECK as follows:
1. Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.

NOTE: The engine will require a longer warm up period in colder weather.

2. With the vehicle upright on level ground, allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.
3. With vehicle on jiffy stand remove and wipe off the dipstick. Install the dipstick back into the oil tank.

NOTE: For FXCW/FXCWC models, thread the filler cap onto the spout until tight. On all other models, push the filler cap until fully seated in the spout.

4. See Engine Oil Level: FXCW/FXCWC Models (FXCW/FXCWC) or Engine Oil Level: Softail Models (all other models). Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. Add only enough oil to bring the level to the FULL mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill.

NOTE: Refer to Recommended Engine Oils. Use only recommended oil specified under Engine Lubrication.

5. Start engine and carefully check for oil leaks around drain plug and oil filter.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,138 Posts
I treat My Bike like My Cummins Diesel
run till operating temp is up . Park on level ground and check oil . I don't feel I have the corecct oil level if truck is leaning frt to back or side to side . I like as level as posibble and A little low on the stick Is better then over full any time . Your bike is up and level when your riding it . I feel you should check the oil in the same manner. JMOP

Being over full on oil Is not good for the system It has to go some where

good luck and you find a way that your happy with

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
My manual says two & a half quarts with a new filter on an oil change in a so called wet engine .
If the engine is dry ( absolutely ) no oil in the system , then it takes 3 quarts with a new filter .
Always check oil level when bike is stone cold , & it should be exactly at the half way mark when cold .
Oil level should be at the top level mark line when engine is hot !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there, when I do an oil and filter change on my sporty 48 - I put in 3 quarts and have never had a problem - no leaks no nothing. Keeps it simple and straight forward even though it is a ways up the dipstick.
For what it's worth, that is my 2 cents worth and I don't think I will change my view on that anytime soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts