Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2011 Super glide fxdc.. Online it shows a 3qt capacity which is what it was filled with. When I check oil with the lcd oil level dipstick I get a warning message of "high oil level"

Should I follow capacity level, or dipstick message and take some oil out?

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
Where is the level on the dipstick?

Does it agree with the readout?

Go by the physical measurement.
The 3 qt capacity is likely the dry capacity.
You can never drain 100% of the oil when servicing the bike.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Did you make sure to run the bike, before draining? Running for a minute or two makes sure all oil is returned to the sump for draining. Of course the LCD dipstick could be a little "off".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dip Stick

I have the same problem, When I change the oil on my 04 SuperGlide.
If i put the dip stick in all the way it reads overfull. If I just let it rest it reads right at the full line. So Do you push the dip stick in all the , or just let it rest on the top when reading the oil level?
Thanks
Bucky

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
Seat it fully.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On my 2008 FXDWG the manual says to check oil hot and just resting on the threads. Not all the way in.

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
On my 2008 FXDWG the manual says to check oil hot and just resting on the threads. Not all the way in.
No threads on dynas prior to 2006. Just a rubber stopper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Then I suppose, just set on stopper for measurement of oil unless book says to fully seat.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,331 Posts
my 2012 Heritage requires full seat. ribbed but no threads

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
Come on JPR.... we don't know what the hell we're talking about, don't you know that????

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
Perform engine oil level COLD CHECK as follows:

1.See Dipstick Location: Dyna Models. For preride inspection with the vehicle resting on the jiffy stand on level ground, wipe off the dipstick and insert it back into the oil pan with the plug pushed completely into the fill spout.

2.See Engine Oil Level: Dyna Models. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. Oil level should register between the two marks on the dipstick.

NOTE:

If oil level is at or below the lower arrow, add only enough oil to bring the level in the middle of the two marks (1) on the dipstick.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/app-content/owners/om/2005/en/DYNA/file-7.html

Crazy huh? :loco

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
For anyone with questions. After a complete oil change, with the correct amount of oil in the bike, check the level with the dipstick all the way in, and note it. That's the correct level cold!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
now is this the same for synthetic oil and baby oil- pretty sure seal oil is checked differently

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
now is this the same for synthetic oil and baby oil- pretty sure seal oil is checked differently
Well sure, you have to use a club to check seal oil! :what?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have 2011 Super glide fxdc.. Online it shows a 3qt capacity which is what it was filled with. When I check oil with the lcd oil level dipstick I get a warning message of "high oil level"

Should I follow capacity level, or dipstick message and take some oil out?
Thread's a bit old but my 13 FXDC manuel says 2.5 qts. Double check manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts