Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am certain this has been answered, I am just not finding my same situation.

I have a 2015 RoadGlide Special with 7,000 miles on it. Ran the bike for a few minutes, waited a few minutes and checked the oil to notice just the tip of the dipstick had oil on it.

I added about 2 quarts of oil and is now half way up the dipstick on the jiffy stand measurement. Rode around town and noticed oil pressure was not fluctuating as much as it did before. Sweet!. Rode to work, putting about 80 miles on it and the bike started to act like it was lugging. Would twist the throttle but had very little acceleration and would shake.

Parked the bike and noticed oil residue on the underside of my Arlen Ness Air Cleaner.

Started it back up a few days later to see what it would do and had a burning oil smell. No smoke from exhaust, just smell.

Did I overfill or what is going on?

All I can find is people having oil around air cleaner but not having performance issues. With me having both, I am stuck.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Not common on the twin cam but it can happen. When you take it apart check the crank runout. FWIW the S&S cam plate and pump are excellent items

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not common on the twin cam but it can happen. When you take it apart check the crank runout. FWIW the S&S cam plate and pump are excellent items
It was just brought my attention that this is a common issue if you have aftermarket air cleaners? Through all the searching I have done, I haven't found this as the reason, but have any of you heard this?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Do you check the oil hot or cold? Cold should register 1/2 way between fill and full mark. At least it does on my 2002 Road King. Hot should be at Full mark. On jiffy stand or straight up?
'
Check your owners manual for specific instructions for your bike. They are all different.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sounds like your not checking the oil correctly.
First warm engine up, about 7 mile ride, then let it sit for approx. 5 minutes, leave it on jiffy stand and check your fluid level, your dip stick shows on stand or standing up, but it doesn't say cold motor, it takes about 7-10 miles to get it warm thru and thru. Now you can add or take away as needed.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You said the engine started lugging that’s why I thought maybe it was sumping. As far as checking the oil level I have always checked mine cold on the side stand if it’s in the safe range good to go

·
Registered
489 Posts
As a side note: If your dip stick is the type that swivels make sure it swivels before checking the oil.
Sounds kinda dumb but I had my Road King dip stick start sticking in one spot. The ball joint got worn out. It makes for inaccurate checking of the oil level.

·
Registered
643 Posts
My 2016 Ultra Limited has two sets of marks on the dipstick - one set for when the bike is resting on the Jiffy Stand and the other when it is sitting upright (e.g. when I have it in the wheel chock for cleaning).

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My 2016 Ultra Limited has two sets of marks on the dipstick - one set for when the bike is resting on the Jiffy Stand and the other when it is sitting upright (e.g. when I have it in the wheel chock for cleaning).
What??????

·
South GA Redneck
3,895 Posts
What??????

One side of dipstick is for checking on the jiffy stand and one side is for checking with the vehicle up right. Works out great for you and Harley. They make one dipstick for bikes and trikes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for being away so long. Thanks for all the feed back. My dipstick does have the same. The oil is about 4 notches down from full, so assuming that it's good. I just remembered something that I did a few weeks before the issue that may have contributed to the issue I am having.

I have the Vance & Hines 2-into-1 exhaust, and I removed that that restrictor plate that is attached to the baffle to make the bike louder. Baffle is still in, but that welded plate that is on the back side of it I removed. It worked and sounds amazing. I have done this on several other bikes, with no issues. Could that or would that contributed to my issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No no, not the reading on the dipstick, but the way the bike is running. Sorry, wasn't clear on that. The bike started lugging and acting as if there was no power when I was going about 10 - 15 mph in 1st gear. Someone mentioned to me that maybe since that plate is gone, there is not enough back pressure to operate properly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts