Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Road glide and my engine light came on. I checked the dip stick and nothing was on the stick, there is no oil under the bike so it was burning it. Decided to take this a sign to tear down and find the issue. After tearing it down i discovered the valve seals were almost welded to the heads the Pistons had about 1/4" of crud on top and the oil pump was scarred and starting to get into the can plate.

I attribute the issues to the oil pump. My question is what could have caused the oil pump to fail?

Now we have a port and polish job on the heads, Weisco 103" Pistons, Andrews 57 cams, high flow oil pump and billet cam plate. Can't wait to get this on a dyno and tune it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Does the bike not have an oil pressure gauge in the faring?

Just curious what it was reading before you decided to check the oil.

And, how often had you been checking the oil?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I attribute the issues to the oil pump. My question is what could have caused the oil pump to fail?

The issues oil burning hard seals cam plate wear, all are signs of low oil and poor quality oil, or diluted oil from rich mixture. The seals being hard is a sign of high heat, and/or contaminated oil.

The cam plate wear is from lack of lubrication, but I would think the oil pump failed after all the other problems, not the other way around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts