Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow touring brothers,
Just found out my 2012 Harley-Davidson electra glide ultra limited is hurt in the bottom end from a servely soured oil pump, My question is, what would this do to other critical rotation parts when they have the case opened up.

I'm replacing the oil pump and related parts with screaming eagle parts, but worried about other components being starved of lubrication for 40,000 miles on the clock.

I feel that the dealership should examine the other pieces, rather than just put the necessary parts Nd button it up.
I'm not sure, but I want a second opinion from riders who might have had the same problem.

I don't want a massive failure in the future, but feel the engine maybe hiding issues for future issues that might cause total failure while o. The road.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2010 Road-King.
58 Posts
I would look it over good check what you can. Do oil pressure check How long do you think it was running this way? When you pull cover look for residue, cut open oil filter and inspect. They really don't require a lot of pressure just good clean flow. good luck(y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem I'm having is what's the long term effect on this engine. I bought the bike with 36k on it, and I don't know the history of this machine, being a retired technician in the automotive field, I was taught the if you have zero to couple pounds, your striving the engine of oil, thus causing premature wear on critical engine components.

·
Retired citizen
24,501 Posts
2012 Harley-Davidson electra glide ultra limited
The MoCo or who is sending an inspector to inspect your 9 year old out of warranty motorcycle ? Do you have some crazy extended warranty plan or something ? I've heard of the 7 year extended warranty, but 9 years ! 40K on the odometer ! Also the OP is the 2nd owner ... boy O boy, this might be one for the books !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Harley davidson is sending the inspector. I don't know if it's a mo co for that matter, but I was told by the service writer.
My main concern is long-term outlook for an engine that might run into future issues, for which I'm not going to let happen.

·
Registered
2010 Road-King.
58 Posts
If you feel you have no confidence in the engine you should replace or rebuild. I too am a retired mechanic and would try to save the thing. that's just my nature I have only worked on a few twin cams for cam chain tensioner issues the old engines I know well and they did'nt have much oil pressure to begin with. If you have metal pieces floating around when you pull the cam cover you know the answer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rocket Rick,
I don't have any questions about twin cams or anything else, you as I know, low oil pressure and no flow up too the top end as depamental or catastrophic result.

I'm more interested in what happens when the engine might lock up and cause me to have a bigger problem.

·
Retired citizen
24,501 Posts
IMO if Harley (MoCo) is sending a service rep to inspect the OP's bike / engine the dealer service dept. must have been fairly convincing of the diagnostics they performed.

Reactions: RJ64

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well,
I just spoke with the service writer, and I brought rhe cost of parts and labor, would be the cost of a block. We came to a point of agreement, that 200.00 dollars would buy a 110 long block.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
$200.00 for a 110 long block, where do I sign up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts