Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for a ride today, stop to take a break and I'm looking over the bike and notice a drop of oil on top of the tranny case, trace it up to about mid point on the cooling fins of the rear cylinder which has some seepage. Don't have a flashlight, but my eye tells me it could be from the exhaust? Going to check the exhaust bolts, but this should not be happening. Help, opinions, comments, Thanks.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
Check towards the bottom and top of jug, could be a bad seal. In the middle or exhaust, then you have a cracked cylinder. Let us know.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocker box,top of head, exhaust bone dry. Bottom appears dry also,cause the weepage looks like its in the middle. I don't think there's any doubt about that. Thanks.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
There are oil passages the run through the cylinder into the heads. Maybe the head gasket of the orings that seal these passages are leaking??

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
There are oil passages the run through the cylinder into the heads. Maybe the head gasket of the orings that seal these passages are leaking??
Pics might help on this one. How you doing baggerboy?

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
Spray the area clean with brake cleaner and monitor for the leak to reappear.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'm going to clean it today and see if and how quickly it will reappear.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
If after you clean it and inspect where the oil is actually coming from, if is still under warranty, take it to the dealer for them to troubleshoot and fix. If it is indeed the heads, that is a lot of work...

Sometimes after an oil change, some oil is left behind and as you ride it gets everywhere... making it difficult to determine if you actually have an oil leak or just spill from the oil change...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, cleaned it and took it for a 50 mile ride. No obvious drip or pooling up on the fins,but it could be moist there, I'm sure I cleaned it well, so I'll ride again and see if something happens. Probably should get to the dealer and see.

Wachuko, Thanks, yeah I thought of that! but it had been 600 miles since my 5K service,and washed a couple times so I don't think I could've missed it but you never know.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So called the dealer yesterday and explained the situation. they got me in that afternoon, and it's back at the ranch. tech said it was the rear base gasket where the head meets the block, both replaced, I'll take it as a win and move on. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So called the dealer yesterday and explained the situation. they got me in that afternoon, and it's back at the ranch. tech said it was the rear base gasket where the head meets the block, both replaced, I'll take it as a win and move on. Thanks to all.
Isn't that kinda quick for that repair?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought so too, it billed out @3.6 hrs, and they started on Tues. afternoon

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is an old thread but had that problem on my 2013 FLHTCU, a seepage at the base of the rear cylinder. Took it to the dealer and asked about it. Guess what I was told? Oh, yeah, some of them do that it's just sweating, no big deal. Also found out that my warranty had expired 6 months earlier than I expected. Bought used in May 2014 but supposed to have a year warranty left. by the end of last year it had gotten worse. Avoided the dealer and took it to an indie who used to be a mechanic at the dealership. Took off the jugs and found the O-rings on both front and rear were failing. Also found one of the auto compression releases wasn't closing after start and was in fact loose in the threads in the cylinder, and leaking valve guide seals. Got all replaced. Doing some other upgrades while he's got it, black 10" bars, grips, black lowers, monotube front suspension, painted inner fairing and a stronger clutch spring. Be happy to have it back. Fewer concerns now over a used bike that was originally a rental. God only knows how it was treated. Mental stress reduced 100%.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same problem on my '14. Harley techs said it was a leak on the jug seal, not the rocker head. Mine dripped perfectly on top of the transmission top cover, so it was easy to see. They also warned me to only fill the oil up to about half of the dipstick, when cold. I'm guessing it was like my old Raider, and if you filled it up to the top and then warmed the bike up, your oil would blow out of the engine seals? Anyway, I fill her up to a little over halfway, and haven't had a problem anymore.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Similar Story

I know this is an old thread but had that problem on my 2013 FLHTCU, a seepage at the base of the rear cylinder. Took it to the dealer and asked about it. Guess what I was told? Oh, yeah, some of them do that it's just sweating, no big deal. Also found out that my warranty had expired 6 months earlier than I expected. Bought used in May 2014 but supposed to have a year warranty left. by the end of last year it had gotten worse. Avoided the dealer and took it to an indie who used to be a mechanic at the dealership. Took off the jugs and found the O-rings on both front and rear were failing. Also found one of the auto compression releases wasn't closing after start and was in fact loose in the threads in the cylinder, and leaking valve guide seals. Got all replaced. Doing some other upgrades while he's got it, black 10" bars, grips, black lowers, monotube front suspension, painted inner fairing and a stronger clutch spring. Be happy to have it back. Fewer concerns now over a used bike that was originally a rental. God only knows how it was treated. Mental stress reduced 100%.
Several months ago I noticed oil seepage at the base of both jugs. I was already experiencing compensator and clutch related issues. After replacing the clutch plates and primary shaft bearings and installing a Baker compensator.....all problems dissapeared except the oil seepage. Then my head gasket blew. The only clue to that was a noticeably loud ticking I had never heard before. Took it to Sweetwater Harley in National City, CA and they discovered three or four of the cylinder jug studs, both front and rear, were stripped by prior engine customization work.....96 to 103 and 103 to 107 CI., which eventually led to the stripped threads and oil seepage at bases. Sucks, but all is well now after helicoils and all new gaskets, new compression releases, valve work, etc, sheesh. But, happy to say, bike still flys with my 260 lbs of glorious fat flesh.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
guitarguy774, yes that's exactly where mine dripped,was not hard to miss. I'm glad it worked out for everyone in a mostly positive way, (minus the cash layout)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts