Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! I'm newbie here, in the community, and in motorcycles. I bought an 2017 HD Iron XL883N recently, it came from US. I live in Kazakhstan, by the way. The bike is great, I'm happy to be owner of it! :) I can't ride a lot, 'cause I don't have a license for it yet, 'cause of quarantine. But almost everyday I take a little trip on my townhouse territory, about 500 meters - 1 kilometer. I do it almost a month. So, I see today a wet hose connection to the oil tank. It was oil. It's hard to me to explain this with words, so I have attached pictures to this message. Does anybody else ran into this problem? Or may be somebody has a suggestion? Thank you in advance!
PS
Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Your english is more than adequate in describing your problem. That bottom hose has been removed and replaced/reattached for some reason. The clamp is different than original and for some reason, the hose is swelled at the end of the fitting. My suggestion is to get the bike warm so the hose is more pliable, then loosen the clamp clean the area as well as possible and try to get the hose clamp on the hose a little farther. While you are doing this, get the screw head of the clamp higher so there is less chance of the belt hitting it. Ride it, retighten the clamp and watch the area to see if it still leaks. It is possible the end of the hose got damaged and the hose needs to be replaced.

·
Proud Infidel
2,773 Posts
Your english is more than adequate in describing your problem. That bottom hose has been removed and replaced/reattached for some reason. The clamp is different than original and for some reason, the hose is swelled at the end of the fitting. My suggestion is to get the bike warm so the hose is more pliable, then loosen the clamp clean the area as well as possible and try to get the hose clamp on the hose a little farther. While you are doing this, get the screw head of the clamp higher so there is less chance of the belt hitting it. Ride it, retighten the clamp and watch the area to see if it still leaks. It is possible the end of the hose got damaged and the hose needs to be replaced.
Great suggestion, but I would also add to change the clamp out for a fuel injection clamp.

·
weird member
2,232 Posts
Hmmm... Is it more reliable? 🤔
They are less likely to damage the hose resulting in leaks, and it also applies more even pressure around the hose.

The other clamps on the other two hoses are Oetiker style hose clamps, which do the same thing, but they aren't reusable and are more expensive and require a special set of pliers to put them on.

The other clamp that you have now that it is suggested to replace on the bottom hose is a wormscrew hose clamp. These are common and cheap, which is why people default to them if they have to remove a hose. A lot of people tend to over tighten them, which can damage the hose and result in leaking.

·
Proud Infidel
2,773 Posts
Also, I'm not familiar with your tank configuration, but it's possible that is the pump suction hose.

If it is, you'll have oil draining the whole time you're making your repair. Might want to think about draining it first.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts