Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my 06 RK I bought a digital oil temp/lev dip stick. I did not know the bike would shut itself off when it got too hot when I bought the dip stick, so, I thought it might be a good idea to have one. Any way the dip stick came with chart with proper riding temps. I lost it same day, I have asked my local dealer what should be considered safe operating temps for hot day around town/and high way cruising, they really did not know. But I am still wondering, I figure I could check temps for typical rides as the oiil gets older.

Like when In go to work its a 10m ride usually the temp is around 190, but lately its 222. The bike did get hot enough to shout down at MB once so I wonder if the syns oil is about done, I have about 2.5K miles on this oil, but my gear head buddies tell me the syn oil does not barely loose its viscosity but get contaminated eventually.

Does anyone have one of these digital dip stick and has clue to what is considered a too high operating temp?

Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not up on 06 RK, didn't know they shut down when too hot. If you don't have an oil cooler, I recommend you get one. While many will say that they don't work very well, anything to cool the oil/engine is better than nothing. My buddy got one and could immediatley feel a reduction in heat.
Scot

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed a oil cooler in 2003 before heading to Sturgis by the time I got back I had kicked a rock up into the cooler and it had a small leak. As far as I am concerned the stock placement is just asking for problems.

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
I have asked my local dealer what should be considered safe operating temps for hot day around town/and high way cruising, they really did not know. But I am still wondering

Does anyone have one of these digital dip stick and has clue to what is considered a too high operating temp?
Not too sure about the accuracy of the digital dip sticks, but dino oil is good up to 250F, synthetic is good to 300F before it starts to break down.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I would freak if my bike shut down because it got too hot. I would check to see how lean your bike is. I live in the desert and I have never experienced such a thing. But then again, I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've seen MULTIPLE posts (I'm long time member of another Harley site) about complaints about those digital dipsticks. The ones in the softails aren't so bad, but the ones for the touring models have a "lock" around the top. That lock can BREAK, and these ball bearings can fall down inside the oil tank. Bad news.

I have an 05 EG Classic, and wish the MoCo would have put an oil temp gauge in the fairing instead of the useless air temp gauge. Oh well... gonna have to install one myself in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts