Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a friend with his 2009 Street Glide, he had an oil temperature gauge that he had already had installed, however while riding the temperature never went above 140-sh...... He thought maybe it was a gauge issue. He ordered a new gauge kit for the touring model part number 70900284 (looks like) I installed the new gauge, should have been straight forward..... unplug old gauge, plug in new gauge, HOWEVER new gauge when plugged in goes straight to 240 temperature. I have run a new cable harness outside of the bike with the new sensor on it for troubleshooting and it goes to 240 also. I have checked the ground. I have measured the leads off of the gauge and the orange wire is at battery voltage and the blue/violet wire is at 5.2 V, black is a good ground throughout other grounds. These voltages are when the gauge is plugged in and the key turned to the on position. Why is the gauge going straight to 240 temperature and not to ambient temperature.

Mike

·
Retired citizen
23,386 Posts
I can't say why the new gauge reads so high but the original gauge reading 140* isn't questionable. The sensor for the oil temp gauge is mounted in the oil pan where the coolest oil is. Plus the oil cooler has a thermostat to regulate the oil temp.
Probably nothing wrong with the original gauge !!!
Also, the sensor screws into the bottom of the oil pan, the place where the oil is supposed to be cooled in the first place. SO ... the sensor is sensing the coolest oil ... right ? 140* is not out of line, IMO.
Put it back the way it was and return all the new parts to the HD dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for quick responses.

@ buckshot85 We have had it running but not to the point to raise the oil temperature up.....

@SCHMIDTYS The problem is now though while troubleshooting the gauge we have tried the old gauge and it too now goes straight to 240..... We have played with the old gauge with the needle to try and determine if the needle was on the wrong side of the post, or twisted around too much, but none of the above seem likely, I bent the needle half way up so that it did not touch the post on either the low side or the high side. mainly so it was free and we could watch it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have actually cut the ground wire, and ran a new ground straight to the battery with no change. i have also cut the hot wire and ran straight to battery with no change. So i know I am not floating at the ground, or any type of cross talk.... I have sense put butt connectors back in and ties it back up the original way.

·
Retired citizen
23,386 Posts
Sounds like the sensor is getting full B+ from the battery ! Wires reversed ???

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
I have actually cut the ground wire, and ran a new ground straight to the battery with no change. i have also cut the hot wire and ran straight to battery with no change. So i know I am not floating at the ground, or any type of cross talk.... I have sense put butt connectors back in and ties it back up the original way.
Do your friend a favor and stop.

Take it to the shop and don't cut any more wires!

·
Retired citizen
23,386 Posts
thanx for quick responses.

@ buckshot85 We have had it running but not to the point to raise the oil temperature up.....

@SCHMIDTYS The problem is now though while troubleshooting the gauge we have tried the old gauge and it too now goes straight to 240..... We have played with the old gauge with the needle to try and determine if the needle was on the wrong side of the post, or twisted around too much, but none of the above seem likely, I bent the needle half way up so that it did not touch the post on either the low side or the high side. mainly so it was free and we could watch it.
He BENT THE NEEDLE !!! :what?

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
It sounds like the sending unit has failed.

Pete

I am helping a friend with his 2009 Street Glide, he had an oil temperature gauge that he had already had installed, however while riding the temperature never went above 140-sh...... He thought maybe it was a gauge issue. He ordered a new gauge kit for the touring model part number 70900284 (looks like) I installed the new gauge, should have been straight forward..... unplug old gauge, plug in new gauge, HOWEVER new gauge when plugged in goes straight to 240 temperature. I have run a new cable harness outside of the bike with the new sensor on it for troubleshooting and it goes to 240 also. I have checked the ground. I have measured the leads off of the gauge and the orange wire is at battery voltage and the blue/violet wire is at 5.2 V, black is a good ground throughout other grounds. These voltages are when the gauge is plugged in and the key turned to the on position. Why is the gauge going straight to 240 temperature and not to ambient temperature.

Mike

·
Retired citizen
23,386 Posts
Also make sure the wires didn't get crossed up. Check the wire colors against the schematic in the back of the service manual. If the fuel gauge wires get connected to the air temp or oil temp gauge those gauges will get the fuel level sender signal.
If the fuel tank is full the temp gauge will go all the way up if the wires are reversed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@SCHMIDTYS, thanks, I will check the other gauges, but nothing else was unplugged. The oil temp gauge has the three prong plug with the orange black and blue/violet wires. As I mentioned earlier, the blue/violet does not have any voltage on it until it is plugged into the oil temp gauge and then it shows 5.2 volts (with key on) whereas the orange wire is battery voltage when the key is turned to the on position and the black wire is a good tested ground.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@SCHMIDTYS - the sensor is only getting the 5.2V, as the blue/violet wire changes to the yellow wire going to the sensor. The sensor has the yellow and black wires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts