Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Former Lurker
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
I am seeking some oil opinions, but not for the bike.

I had to cut down a bunch of evergreens (8) in my yard that got some sort of Blight and started to die on me.

With the help of my local lawn guy I got them all cut down and hauled away.
Got the stumps cut down to almost ground level.

Here comes the questions...
I have been told that an easier and less expensive way to get rid of the stumps than have them ground down ($$$) is to burn them.
If I drill a bunch of holes in them and soak them in oil, let 'em sit a couple of weeks, soak/fill them with oil again, I can light them up and they should burn down into the ground.
I have also been told that it is not a bad idea to pile some charcoal and firewood on top to help get the heat up and some coals going to keep the burn going.
I have been told to use either motor oil, diesel or vegetable oil.
I thought diesel might burn off too quickly. I know I don't want gasoline.
Was not sure if motor oil would do the trick either, not withstanding the dino/synthetic/baby seal arguments.
Not sure what type of vege oil would work either.
I'd like to keep it cheap and clean, I don't want my dogs out there trying to lick the oil up while it is soaking or on fire.
Is this more of a PITA than it is worth.
In the past I have cut and drilled into stumps and filled them with fertilizer. That just took forever for them to rot...

Thoughts?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I tried this once. I used motor oil and mixed a little gas with it after the oil soaked in good for a few days. It didn't work well at all. You have evergreens which usually burn easy and fast, so it might just work for you.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Divide the stump into 8 slices. Drill two holes in each slice (as deep as possible). Fill with kerosene and let it soak. Refill the holes each day for 3 - 5 days then set that beotch on fire! Build another fire on top and around the stump. It takes time and it is a PITA but it works. My buddy had a stump problem on his property and that's how he got rid of them.

·
Registered
721 Posts
All the above is good advice.
Youtube has many videos on this.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The kerosene theory sounds promising. I was thinking that paraphin based oil that they use in lamps?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I tried that with a small tree, was a real PITA, didn't work well. I used kerosene and charcoal, took forever to get it just below ground. Too bad ya didn't know my great gramps, he just wrapped a chain around em and yanked em out with the International.. almost took part of his house down too!

Reactions: SoftailBilly

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
I had a neighbor that got fair results from just placing an unopened bag of charcoal on the stump and lighting the bag. Cheap & quick and if you have to do it a couple of times it is still cheap & quick.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
no mater what way you go its a PITA kerosene charcoal; and a lil air moving works but its a long slow process and if you don't keep it burning till its done it takes even longer
dynamite and nitro work too
next time if you know you want the stump gone it works better cutting off higher up the you can get a track hoe or such and pull them out

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Reactions: JTJ

·
Retired citizen
23,198 Posts
I've been told (grandpa) that driving copper spikes into a tree stump will kill it off and soften it up for removal. I never tried it and don't know how long the process would take so if you're in a hurry maybe some other method would be better.
I'd like to try the copper spike method once to see if it works or not tho.

·
Former Lurker
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.
I am going to look into renting a grinder. I do have 8 of these effers to do...
I also have a 55 gal drum that has the top and bottom cut out and then cut in half, so I have 2 half barrel height rings.
I may try a couple and see how it goes.
Thanks again.

·
Retired citizen
23,198 Posts
Will the smoke bother the neighbors ?
Neighbors call the fire dept ... $$$

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Have you gotten an estimate? The stump grinder folks are numerous and pretty competitive. I’ve found that the first one or two stumps can be pricey, but once they’ve made the trip to your site, the multiples get a lot cheaper, since they’re already onsite.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,102 Posts
You don't need added fuel to burn a stump, you need oxidizer. The stump is the fuel.

Pack the deep holes you drilled in the stump with saltpeter/potassium nitrate, wet it and let it soak in for weeks, put more in the holes if you see them empty. Once the saltpeter is well absorbed by the stump, light it, it may only smolder like firecracker punk, but if you can get it to smolder, it should burn very slowly for days, all the way down to the roots. Saltpeter or similar oxidizer was what they added to cigarettes to make sure they kept burning in the ashtray, cigars don't have it and go out all the time.

I believe I'd also consider dry pool chlorine, the concentration they call "shock" treatment. Make sure nothing else is nearby but the stump, I've had green weeds that the leftover wet white paste from dry pool chlorine was dumped on, burst into flames 15 min later..

·
Former Lurker
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don't need added fuel to burn a stump, you need oxidizer. The stump is the fuel.

Pack the deep holes you drilled in the stump with saltpeter/potassium nitrate, wet it and let it soak in for weeks, put more in the holes if you see them empty. Once the saltpeter is well absorbed by the stump, light it, it may only smolder like firecracker punk, but if you can get it to smolder, it should burn very slowly for days, all the way down to the roots. Saltpeter or similar oxidizer was what they added to cigarettes to make sure they kept burning in the ashtray, cigars don't have it and go out all the time.

I believe I'd also consider dry pool chlorine, the concentration they call "shock" treatment. Make sure nothing else is nearby but the stump, I've had green weeds that the leftover wet white paste from dry pool chlorine was dumped on, burst into flames 15 min later..

Chlorine? Saltpeter?
Sounds interesting. Will do some reading and check pricing.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts