Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,118 Posts
Unless the stump is very dry and porous, I believe it will take a long time to absorb the salt thoroughly. The longer you give it, the better it is infused into the wood, the better it will work.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts

·
Mr.
67 Posts
use a leaf blower to help fan the flames

THIS is how you get rid of stumps. BUT cut it all down as low as you possiby can. Also once you get to the dirt then make what ever plunge cuts you feel like you can with your saw with out going through in to dirt. It will make it burn a lot faster. Kerosene and diesel and all that really don't do much good at burning the stump. The stump don't START burning until the other fuel is used up. Use your kerosene to get a little "campfire" size wood fire going on top of the flat stump/ground level. Good hard wood, like the good hard wood in the stump.

THEN BLOW the leaf blower between your hard wood on top and the stump wood on the bottom. It will get as hot or hotter than a coal forge. When the stump gets hot enough to start getting red embers on it, walk away and do what ever else you want for a couple hours. If you notice it looks "dieing down" then got back and hit it with the leaf blower again. Every thing blacked from last time will catch again real easy and get it all red hot again.

If you don't mind hanging around wearing out your leaf blower then just stand there with a beer in one hand prop up the leaf blower to heat what you want and it will burn down really fast.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a friend up in VT that used bacon fat , he poured the fat around the roots and lets the critters dig the stump out for him
:oops:
Use bacon fat!!!??? Save that for making Popcorn and covering potatoes before you bake em! you cover a stump with bacon fat and I'LL eat that sumbitch!!

·
Registered
39,005 Posts
That's a damm good idea right there. Popcorn with bacon fat.

·
Registered
698 Posts
That's a damm good idea right there. Popcorn with bacon fat.
You haven't lived till you pop your corn in bacon fat.
Got a 100 year old pot we use only for popcorn. stovetop popped in bacon fat. oh yeah.......
IMG_0353.jpg

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,118 Posts
I car-pooled with a working mate for years, he had worked on an artic BMEWS station in Greenland, took his meals at some kind of Norwegian installation's mess halll, he said there was always a small tub of bacon grease in the middle of every table, a constant condiment, they put it on bread, biscuits or toast. I'm sure it they ate grits or baked potatoes ...

·
Registered
39,005 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,118 Posts
I thought the exact same thing! I have griddles, and catfish fryers, that NEED that long center burner. That looks commercial quality.

·
American
26,752 Posts
I usually just cut off at ground an drill holes. Five years later they usually just fall apart from rot.

Reactions: Jack Ryan

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thats one serious stove right there!
I thought the exact same thing! I have griddles, and catfish fryers, that NEED that long center burner. That looks commercial quality.
Pic is misleading. a standard 30" GE gas stove but it does have that center long burner. Didn't mean to hijack the thread!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,118 Posts
It wasn't you, Kainam and I branched off into stove-envy.
Besides, this thread had been dead for 2 years before the leaf-blower input.
We rarely prefer a thread stay on the straight and narrow. More interesting and diverse that way.

Besides, I think by introducing the idea of bacon grease popcorn and baked potatoes, you doubled the thread value.

Reactions: MotoJockey

·
Former Lurker
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I see that this was resurrected...
Update: Cut a deal with my lawn guy. Waited for 2 months until he a few other jobs that needed a grinder. He got mine and the others all in one day. One of the guys ant work tried the burn thing around the same time for one big pine stump it was a total pita. Glad my buddy came through for me.

I do like the sound of popcorn with bacon fat. Wife keep some around and uses it in some things.
As we all know, bacon makes just about anything better.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts