Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Sporty 1200c and have read many, many threads on what oil to use. I have a pretty good handle on the better brands but I'm confused about the viscosity. It seem that 20-50 synthetic is the most recommended but my service/repair manual recommends SAE 20-50 above 40 degrees, SAE 50 above 60, and SAE 60 above 80. I haven't seen these heavier weights talked about. So, what's the real scoop on summer riding with temps over 80? Or, will 20-50 synthetic cover all the bases?

·
Señor Member
19,660 Posts
I run it in all conditions.

I was hoping for another oil thread. :)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Re-read your manual. You'll see,(if it's the factory manual), they recommend 20w50 above 40 degrees, 10w40 below 40 degrees. If you are looking at anything other than a factory(I E: H-D ) manual, take anything they say with a grain of salt.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
WTF??????..ya give up on the baby oil...:what? I thought ya liked squeezin the little fellers....:D
I do Phil..... I do. But my trashmen are starting to complain.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re-read your manual. You'll see,(if it's the factory manual), they recommend 20w50 above 40 degrees, 10w40 below 40 degrees. If you are looking at anything other than a factory(I E: H-D ) manual, take anything they say with a grain of salt.
That's what I was hoping for. Thanks guys!!:)

·
Señor Member
19,660 Posts
Big John, we're gonna need a full size shot of your avatar, man.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I run 20/50 all year long. That can range from 15 degrees F to 100 degrees F. In the winter 10/40 can make for easier starting, but I have never had a problem with 20/50, no matter how cold it was.

Even thought I can start up my fuel injected 2009 Dyna and ride off as soon as it fires up, in the winter I tend to let it warm up for a while before taking off. I wait until the oil temperature is at least 100 degrees before riding.

Do I need to do that? Probably not! But it only takes a few minutes and I do it anyhow. It makes me feel better knowing that the engine is not trying to pump 15 degree oil through a very cold engine under the load of riding conditions.

Pete

·
Poser Member # 99
17,409 Posts
Sorry Chief and Cisco no Blow ups available

Ya both would just get in trouble any way.
ya might slip off and Hurt your Self with all that baby oil

after following all the collision posts you guys had to much fun

LOL.....:rofl:.......:rofl:

·
Señor Member
19,660 Posts
Sorry Chief and Cisco no Blow ups available

Ya both would just get in trouble any way.

ya might slip off and Hurt your Self with all that baby oil

after following all the collision posts you guys had to much fun

LOL.....:rofl:.......:rofl:

Boo! Bad form, sir.

·
Señor Member
19,660 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,660 Posts
Uh, we're talking about motorcycles, man. Pull yourself together.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts