Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
IMO. No such thing as to many CCA. Only to few.
Agreed.

The CCA is only a rating of the max possible that the battery can put out. How much it actually puts out is based on demand by the starter.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I may be wrong, but I'm thinking he wants to know how many amps his starter will pull under normal conditions .

:coffee:

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
Title says "Question on Batteries".

He'll clarify his question if he doesn't get the answer he's looking for. :dunno

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Would a heavy duty starter help with a hot start problem that causes a hesitation or hard start ?
Sorry for the hi-jack .

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Cars, trucks motorcycles, boats, hell airplanes, no difference. Starter can only use the amount of power it takes, the cca of the battery has nothing to do with how much the starter takes, too big a battery won't hurt anything, too small= trouble. For what it's worth, the stock battery is all you need, unless you've got a high compression tricked out motor, that's hard to start.

·
Registered
147 Posts
CCA's are amps supplied during cold weather. Cold Cranking Amps, nothing else. For instance, a 325cca battery will supply 325amps for 30 seconds at 0 degrees. If you live in a cold area, exceeding your recommended cca's for your bike is better. Another way to help determine what you want is to multiply your engine CU's and times that by 3. Example, if you have an 80cu motor, then at least a 240amp battery is needed unless you have additional electronics that will take some of your amperage at startup. In a cold region, the more cca's the better. No reason to go overboard and pay high dollars for a battery with high cca's. Just waste of money. I would just look online for what is recommended for your bike. You can go over the recommended cca's but more is not always needed. Consider your riding. Do you ride alot in the winter? Then you may want to go more than recommended. If it sits in the winter, then the recommended battery may be all you need. And I would always use a battery maintainer to get the most life out of your battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts