Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Girlfriend came over this evening - shortly after I got back on my long bike ride. Wanted to sit on my bike. She is considering getting one. She has on cheap nylon sweatpants. They melted these spots on my pipes.

What can I use to get it off? I used Chrome shiner - it is in the metal container with what appears to be wool. Too lazy to walk out there.

Would fingernail polish work?
Would gunk or that paint spot remover work?
Ligther Fluid?

Help - it is a huge spot........Darn it.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Probably reheat the pipes and wipe it of with a soft cloth while still hot. it'll wear off eventually though with a couple wash and wax little road time. Frantic rubbing just scratches chrome.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Most things that are strong enough to take melted plastic or rubber off of the exhaust will also remove paint from any painted portions.

Be very careful.

With that said, I have used brake cleaner on a rag to soften and remove heel marks. I have never had a melt bad enough to use it, but many say that oven cleaner will remove melted rubber and plastic or vinyl.

The chrome polish you refer to probably won't unless it is very light but give it a try.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
EZ-Off Oven cleaner. (Specific brand)

Get the pipes warm again. Not hot, rather just warm.

Try to cover the surrounding areas and spray a little EZ-Off oven cleaner on the melted plastic spot.

You DO NOT want to get EZ-Off on anything painted.

If it's on the exhaust heat shield, TAKE IT OFF, and do this. It comes off wiht 3 radiator type hose clamps.

Let it sit a bit. Maybe an hour or even longer.

Wipe off and polish with Semichrome, or Mother's Mag Polish and a soft clotch. Do NOT use steelwool unless it's #0000 or softer, as it will leave scratches.

·
Registered
57 Posts
True enough...EZ Off works great! My Uncle owns a "classic" Sporty. The first time his wife went for a ride on it with him, she inadvertently rested the heel of her boot on the pipe. By the time he got home, the pipe was a mess with melted rubber smears all over the chrome. He was advised by the local Harley dealer to try some EZ Off. He let the bike run until the pipes were warm, sprayed on the EZ Off, let it sit for a bit and then carefully wiped it off with a soft cloth. Worked like a charm! Again, just be very careful you don't get any overspray on the paint!!

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - hurting the Girlfriend came to mind...........LOL - But yes it is on the chrome pipes. I thought what the heck is this. Then the "Never Dull" chrome cleaner didn't even touch it. So I will try the above. Thanks!!!!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great suggestion with the EZ Off. And as Dave says be sure to cover everything else so the spray cannot get on the paint. I have also found a great product for stubborn stains on chrome pipes. Noxon 7 in the green container is the best I have found when everything else I tried failed to remove the stain, mark, or whatever, on chrome. It cleans everything from stainless steel to copper.

I found it at Ace Hardware and some automotive stores.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Noxon 7 in the green container is the best I have found when everything else I tried failed to remove the stain, mark, or whatever, on chrome. It cleans everything from stainless steel to copper.

I found it at Ace Hardware and some automotive stores.
I'll have to look for that, Marvin. Sounds like good stuff....:thumb

·
What?
3,256 Posts
My Girlfriend came over this evening -
Girlfriend , eh? :mwink

As Mr. KoolAide would say,"OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!!"

I vote easy off, but I'll look for the Noxon also. Always on the look out for something new.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Maybe she's trying the EZ-Off on the cake stain on the ceiling first......:stir

·
What?
3,256 Posts
:cake

:stickpoke

:popcorn

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of you men are in my thoughts right now. :stir

Really - nice thoughts - honest :neener

I will use the Easy off on the bike then I am going to bake :cake

If I didn't like you all so much - well - look for cake being delivered to your home. :eek: :box:

Oh and :Thanks

PM's to write...............:stickpoke

And actually - thank you very much for the advice.....:thumb

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Um, ya'll did say B-L-U-E right?? :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll second & third what has been said about E-Z Off.
If you don't want to mask off your bike to prevent overspray, then spray smoe E-Z Off on a rag then apply it to the pipe.
DO NOT be agressive, it may take several applications and if the plastic is severly baked on I lay a small soaked acetone rag on the junk to soften it between applications of the EZO. Rinse throughly when done because EZO contains harsh chemicals.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts