Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to ride 2 afternoons last week. Back to cold weather don't know when the next ride will be. But...., tired of adding air to rear shocks on my '13 RGC. And even right after adding air I'm not totally happy with the ride. Going for new shocks. Seriously considering the HD Premium (?) hand adjustable shocks. I know the pair is one shock for compression and one for rebound. Looks like only the left shock is adjustable. I believe 3 different settings. So, those of you that have now or in the past had these, were you reasonably satisfied with them? Shouldn't 3 different setting be sufficient for me to find a good ride? I weigh 175 and 98% of the time ride solo. And do you have to take a bag off to adjust them?

The HD list price is over $500, maybe closer to $600, but I think I can shop and get that down. And I have Harley bucks from my HD Visa to use. Other premium shocks run waaaay more and it is said that if you call so and so at such and such he will design/build/create/develop/mastercraft the perfect shock for your riding style. That is bologna. I used to be in the auto parts business and I have toured shock absorber manufacturing places and I tell you, there ain't that much to a quality shock absorber no matter how it is marketed and hyped and I will never pay what some of those people are asking for a set of shocks.

Thanks in advance. Any info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
14SGS I like my shocks,I've ridden a buddy's 14SG with air shocks and the premiums are better. Way more than 3 settings unless I'm mistaken. Started at lowest setting and went up till it felt firm. I do ride two up occasionally 6 clicks up. I haven't looked at where it's actually at. Sorry I'm not more specific haven't rode since New Years day. Would have to dig out manual. I Believe two clicks are one adjustment. If you have small hands you could probably adjust without removing bag, I have to remove bag.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I Also noticed that the shocks got better after I had a thousand miles on them. If I can answer any questions let me know. I'll be in my shop tomorrow,I can be more specific.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am on a UC but ride with a buddy on a RG. He had the HD Premium. With those he outrides me in the twisties where before I kept pace. I just changed out to 944's and monotubes. Hope that gets me back to an equal pace.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the premiums. easy to adjust to suit and ride great. best I have had.

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts
Got to ride 2 afternoons last week. Back to cold weather don't know when the next ride will be. But...., tired of adding air to rear shocks on my '13 RGC. And even right after adding air I'm not totally happy with the ride. Going for new shocks. Seriously considering the HD Premium (?) hand adjustable shocks. I know the pair is one shock for compression and one for rebound. Looks like only the left shock is adjustable. I believe 3 different settings. So, those of you that have now or in the past had these, were you reasonably satisfied with them? Shouldn't 3 different setting be sufficient for me to find a good ride? I weigh 175 and 98% of the time ride solo. And do you have to take a bag off to adjust them?

The HD list price is over $500, maybe closer to $600, but I think I can shop and get that down. And I have Harley bucks from my HD Visa to use. Other premium shocks run waaaay more and it is said that if you call so and so at such and such he will design/build/create/develop/mastercraft the perfect shock for your riding style. That is bologna. I used to be in the auto parts business and I have toured shock absorber manufacturing places and I tell you, there ain't that much to a quality shock absorber no matter how it is marketed and hyped and I will never pay what some of those people are asking for a set of shocks.

Thanks in advance. Any info will be appreciated.
Hey Joe, I was so disappointed in my shocks when I bought my 2014 SG. I was kicking myself soon after buying it for not getting the SGS but I liked everything else about the bike so much I was willing to put up with it. Then, a riding buddy said he had a pair of the HD Premium shocks at home that he would give me to try! I knew they were expensive and I figured what do I have to lose. Long story short, it has made all the difference now. I love 'em! I keep it set pretty loose but I only ride one up. Wife will ride every once in a while but I crank it up if I think about it. Glad I got them for sure.

·
Registered
11,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Joe, I was so disappointed in my shocks when I bought my 2014 SG. I was kicking myself soon after buying it for not getting the SGS but I liked everything else about the bike so much I was willing to put up with it. Then, a riding buddy said he had a pair of the HD Premium shocks at home that he would give me to try! I knew they were expensive and I figured what do I have to lose. Long story short, it has made all the difference now. I love 'em! I keep it set pretty loose but I only ride one up. Wife will ride every once in a while but I crank it up if I think about it. Glad I got them for sure.
That's good to hear! Thank you.

·
On the loose
8,724 Posts
I've only got to put 60mi on my SG so far but I was immediately disappointed in the ride quality , good info .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts