Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the inner & outer primary off and apart and replaced a bunch of seals, bearings, o-rings, clutch, tensioner. Took my time, have the factory manual, everything I did was perfect. Just buttoned everything up and it don't start, the starter drive ain't catching.... And no neutral light (I don't get that one), but I'm sure I assembled the starter Jack shaft assembly correctly. Just drained it again and I'll let it sit and drain good overnight. I'll take the primary cover off tomorrow and I guess disassemble and reassemble the starter jack shaft..... I just don't get it. This is a '92 Dynaglide.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Make sure the coupler is installed correctly, the long thin one.

Oops, sorry, I just re read your post and see that you did everything perfect.

Never mind...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Never mind...
Yeah, the coupling & retaining ring never came off. I only hadda take off the spring, pinion gear, o-ring, thrust washer & lockplate and the manual shows a good diagram of how they came off. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Be careful in there with the battery still connected...

It may be just a coincidence that the issue turned up after you had the starter off.

Maybe the starter clutch gave up the ghost.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Never mind...
Ok, after a close re-examination, I'd like to change my original statement from "I did everything perfect" to either "I believed I did everything perfect" or " I did everything nearly perfectly.
. it was the coupler

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Ok, after a close re-examination, I'd like to change my original statement from "I did everything perfect" to either "I believed I did everything perfect" or " I did everything nearly perfectly.
. it was the coupler
It was the coupler gremlin.
:)

--

1 - 7 of 7 Posts