Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of months ago we were having message threads showing an image or two, and one could guess the location. Images were from Hawaii, Utah, Lincoln's birthplace, etc.

In case an interest, and if you don't mind the two wheeled thing in the foreground, perhaps a guess or two on the location of these two pics?

·
Registered
89 Posts
It looks exactly like my part of the country. The Great Smokey Mountains of Western North Carolina. Cherohala Skyway leaving the Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I know I know.........ITS DALLAS TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:dance
Don't we live in a beautiful city?!?!?!?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good guesses everyone, but the cup goes to....
msscull! The Talimena Scenic Byway is it. Many don't know of this 54 mile gem running along the spine of a mountain between Oklahoma and Arkansas. One of the many websites dedicated to it:

http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/

For the many Texas riders we have here this is perhaps a half day's ride to the byway from the Dallas area. Could be a nice overnight trip. The eastern terminus is Mena, Arkansas... also a fine jumping off point for rides.

Nevertheless, I always get a kick out out of the images from the Talimena for it surprises more than a few that it comes from Oklahoma!

Amy - Enjoyed your guess! :).

msscull. Good guess, maybe you've been to the area?

Steve

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have ridden past the lodge but never stopped. Saw a report once noting the place serves killer pies. Thought I had an image coming through on the WG returning to Dallas from Memphis. Once when I rode through the mountain top was in the clouds but one would break through here and there. Surreal and beautiful.

·
Steve
262 Posts
Nice Duc in the first picture. I use to have an ST4S myself. Loved that bike.....should have never sold it.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve, Have had bikes come and go over the years. This one has remained. Superbike engine between the knees. 108HP, 460lbs dry. Glorious exhaust note. Oh wait... maybe I shouldn't be noting these things :). Well, for sure, you have quite the stable as well ;).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hey!!!!!!!!! This is the ride we are going on in May!! We are staying in Broken Bow Ok...and riding this on Saturday!!!!!!! I know ******* posted a thread about it rally and group rides!!! All are welcome :dance

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wondered if this is where the fellas meant when they spoke about making another Talimena run. Cool. As if I'm not excited enough. My biggest problem with scheduled rides is the time that you have to sit and wait for the date to arrive!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wondered if this is where the fellas meant when they spoke about making another Talimena run. Cool. As if I'm not excited enough. My biggest problem with scheduled rides is the time that you have to sit and wait for the date to arrive!
The ride north of Broken Bow on Hwy 259, then the Talimena Skyway is excellent.... forests, curves, hills, and then the scenic pullouts on the Talimena. Will be memorable. Brings cameras! Many photo ops. And bring warm clothes just in case! The ride along the mountain top ridge can be in all kinds of "interesting" weather.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some friends and I will be doing that ride the first weekend in June. Looks like a great place.:)

Polarbear

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is a great ride. Also, Lake Ouchita is a state park near Hot Springs & they have some really nice cabins to stay in.

The park would make a good base of operations. The park staff were really good to work with & were always polite.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got on this thread and my guess would have been Talimena too. We were up there over Veteran's Day weekend of last year 2006. Very nice ride!

·
Registered
472 Posts
The ride north of Broken Bow on Hwy 259, then the Talimena Skyway is excellent.... forests, curves, hills, and then the scenic pullouts on the Talimena. Will be memorable. Brings cameras! Many photo ops. And bring warm clothes just in case! The ride along the mountain top ridge can be in all kinds of "interesting" weather.
Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to post pics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts