Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already done tons of mods to the bike but not for a while. After my careful study of all the posts I have read, I just ordered a bunch of stuff like; A slipper clutch, PCIII tuner, progressive front springs, cortec soft saddlebags and tail bag and maybe one or two more things.
Anybody else doing work and hows it going?

·
Enigma
217 Posts
Nothing thus far..by years end hope to have PCIII tuner already up and running. Also hoping by 09 Homecoming, having different exhaust in place.

Most of the upgrading will be done when things start wearing out.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Bottom end rebuild due to a bearing letting go, and at the same time taking the opportunity to have the engine inspected for non-standard parts and returning all to factory specs, but after that it's just ride the damn thing till it breaks again :D

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Put on my wide-glide front end today. Bastages lied to be and the fit was anything but stellar, not to mention the directions were like having Helen Keller sitting next to you, signing what to do next. Of course, if she wasn't clear enough, you could always use the provided tlelphone number and call Ray Charles to assist in the assembly.

It's all together, and I'll post pics tomorrow. Too many beers, status-post "creative moment" to do it now..........

Ya know..... I even called JP Cycle Tech line to ask a few questions to see if this would fit. Sure enough, the dude says, "Yep....."

Granted, I got it to fit, but we're talking someone with more experience than the average person and tools that the average person doesn't have.

I started at 0830 today, and finally finished it at 1530.

As stated: I'll post pics tomorrow.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I've changed my mind on what to do all winter, I finally just went out and bought a tv :D

I did have my seat in a local shop to get memory foam and gel inserts but they took too long and I changed my mind on that too :)

Today I bought a Willie G seat though :cool:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
From another thread:

She is fully chromed out up front! Ed said the chrome front end would look good.....WOW were you not kidding!
She is lowered so that I am almost flat-footed in Stegmans clogs. With my favorite boots on, which are not my highest, it will be beyond perfect!
The jiffy stand seems to hold her at a good angle and the extender is on so that I can get to it easier from the side.
And finally, she has the V-Logo Turn Signal Indicators installed so now I won't be distracted by not knowing if the signal is on or not.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
For the V-Rod, I have the new "gripper" clutch.
And the 5 gallon Rick's tank.

For the LowRider, I have the hydraulic clutch, master, trans cover and line.

Two sets of driving lights and relays to install.

Now for my car, the pile gets too big to list.

You know what a 6liter 400hp/400tq car needs?
a 2x feature.

check out this clip, 797 hp and 830 ft/lbs, I'll stay at 7.5 lbs myself....
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/29a23e53-f7d0-4952-86ec-9996017ac13e.htm

Attachments

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing thus far..by years end hope to have PCIII tuner already up and running. Also hoping by 09 Homecoming, having different exhaust in place.

Most of the upgrading will be done when things start wearing out.
Smart way to do it.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bottom end rebuild due to a bearing letting go, and at the same time taking the opportunity to have the engine inspected for non-standard parts and returning all to factory specs, but after that it's just ride the damn thing till it breaks again :D
Pete your mechanic has been at this a while now. Whens the due date?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've changed my mind on what to do all winter, I finally just went out and bought a tv :D

I did have my seat in a local shop to get memory foam and gel inserts but they took too long and I changed my mind on that too :)

Today I bought a Willie G seat though :cool:
How about a pic.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From another thread:

She is fully chromed out up front! Ed said the chrome front end would look good.....WOW were you not kidding!
She is lowered so that I am almost flat-footed in Stegmans clogs. With my favorite boots on, which are not my highest, it will be beyond perfect!
The jiffy stand seems to hold her at a good angle and the extender is on so that I can get to it easier from the side.
And finally, she has the V-Logo Turn Signal Indicators installed so now I won't be distracted by not knowing if the signal is on or not.
Your excitement over your new bike with new mods shines through the computer screen. Nice!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the V-Rod, I have the new "gripper" clutch.
And the 5 gallon Rick's tank.

For the LowRider, I have the hydraulic clutch, master, trans cover and line.

Two sets of driving lights and relays to install.

Now for my car, the pile gets too big to list.

You know what a 6liter 400hp/400tq car needs?
a 2x feature.

check out this clip, 797 hp and 830 ft/lbs, I'll stay at 7.5 lbs myself....
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/29a23e53-f7d0-4952-86ec-9996017ac13e.htm
Cool clip and thanks again for the tip on the clutch.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Your excitement over your new bike with new mods shines through the computer screen. Nice!
And wouldn't it be nice if I could take pictures!:mad:
Nikon tells me that while the California service center has the part that failed that there is no way to get one to the New York service center other than to wait for the one that is on a ship from Japan!:banghead

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
How about a pic.
I bought the Willie G on ebay, so I don't have it yet. when it shows up I'll take a picture of it on the bike.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
( hope this isn't totally off this topic, it is some of what I need to install as winter projects..)

Cool clip
I just noticed you can search that video clip site for more clips by the same submitter.
I know this guy, at least online, he races this GTO regularly, tops 185 several times a month,
and he's got plenty of excellent videos to prove it.
I have the same turbo kit to install on the same car,
but he has done much more prep and can take 3x the boost.

In all of these clips the first overpass is the rolling start line and the second is the finish line.

Here's a couple that bike people will have a hard time believing
You know these bikes would flat disappear if he was in any normal car.

70 mph rolling race against a modified GSXR1000, catching the bike on top...at 185

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1cdf9666-efb1-45c9-95da-99ea012b4a93.htm

This one he's just the camera car filming a bike race between a turbo Hayabusa and GSXR1000,

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/bc74207e-998a-46d5-8a8d-99b2011f5f88.htm

This one is a short blast, 3/4 length, top speeds getting too high, (approaching 200 mph!)
the sign is the finish line

800+rwhp Supra vs 800+rwhp viper with 800rwhp TT GTO Race was only to go 3/4 distance
Notice the Supra driver riding his brake at the start to load up the turbo before the actual start.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/02f4c8bc-7a4a-42c1-ad60-99b9015c35ee.htm

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
( hope this isn't totally off this topic, it is some of what I need to install as winter projects..)

I just noticed you can search that video clip site for more clips by the same submitter.
I know this guy, at least online, he races this GTO regularly, tops 185 several times a month,
and he's got plenty of excellent videos to prove it.
I have the same turbo kit to install on the same car,
but he has done much more prep and can take 3x the boost.

In all of these clips the first overpass is the rolling start line and the second is the finish line.

Here's a couple that bike people will have a hard time believing
You know these bikes would flat disappear if he was in any normal car.

70 mph rolling race against a modified GSXR1000, catching the bike on top...at 185

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1cdf9666-efb1-45c9-95da-99ea012b4a93.htm

This one he's just the camera car filming a bike race between a turbo Hayabusa and GSXR1000,

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/bc74207e-998a-46d5-8a8d-99b2011f5f88.htm

This one is a short blast, 3/4 length, top speeds getting too high, (approaching 200 mph!)
the sign is the finish line

800+rwhp Supra vs 800+rwhp viper with 800rwhp TT GTO Race was only to go 3/4 distance
Notice the Supra driver riding his brake at the start to load up the turbo before the actual start.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/02f4c8bc-7a4a-42c1-ad60-99b9015c35ee.htm
Nice! 800 horse power is more than I have experienced. I drove a couple of 650 HP busch series cars on the track and hit 169 mph.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
My car can't mount really huge tires, the fender wells just won't allow it, so beyond a certain point it's all academic anyway. Somehing to brag about with the other dyno queens.

I have what most turbo people would consider a peculiar and wimpy perspective on what a turbo should do. I don't really need or want a turbo to double my car's peak output, I just want what used to be peak output to be available any time, at any engine speed, in any gear.

Same with the turbo Max has on his bike, I don't have nearly the stones to really use 165 hp well, but I'd like to have all the torque I could want and more at low rpms and low speeds.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Pete your mechanic has been at this a while now. Whens the due date?
I've told him he's got till March anyway due to the weather. The main delay is in doing the research to figure out the best way to rebuild it for max reliability at min cost. I'm more concerned about getting it done right than about time.

They got it apart and did the damage review about two weeks ago. Not too bad. The bearings of course, and the flywheel shafts are shot, but the wheel itself is OK. Jugs and head are OK, they're just going to clean them up. There's a debate about con rods and pistons. They have some measuring to do to figure out the current spec.

Although I got the bike at that shop, it was sold off their floor as a favor to a long term customer, so the shop didn't make anything from the deal, so I guess I also take second place to the 40 or so other bikes that are in there which were bought new there.

Also, the Luxembourgish sense of time makes 'Manana' seem crash urgent :rofl:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
Pete-
Might be a dumb suggestion, like if there would be terribly high shipping or duties or anything can't be avoided, but if you get to some point where you're facing some parts cost that looks like you're an paying ends-of-the earth supply line price, I'd bet you have mates here who'll be wiilling to check best US prices and put parts in the mail for you. And be quick about it.

Ya'know. maybe it's just me, but since labor is almost certainly the big cost in a rebuild like this, I'd sure be tempted to find out if a small difference in parts cost, for the same labor cost, wouldn't get me something extra amd interesting.

I see in a catalog that there are new cylinders available that turn your 80 into an 88 for only $140 each USD, pistons prolly about the same. Problem is there would be just a wee bit of machining on the cases, but since they are already apart, it couldn't cost very much more.

Considering how bad the US dollar has tanked, you could prolly have the parts for an 88 cubic inch conversion for pocket change.

Even more ridiculous, here's a HD dealer who'll give a $600 discount a new 80 inch Evo engine in a crate that lists for $3000 USD.
It says for 99 softail, so it's just info for comparison.
http://bikerbobsstore.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=16161-99

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Thanks, man - I'll talk to Carlos about it. He's a good guy and quite pragmatic about things. As long as he makes his bit he'll do whatever it takes. From time to time they even build a custom when things are slow, just to show off. Not strict HD at all.

That 88" sounds interesting - HP is of little use on these roads, but torque is always good :D

Freight is always an issue - sometimes it's extortionate - I paid $300 in freight on a starter motor :D But maybe Carlos has a share in a container or something, and could slip something in.

Thanks again. As you say, since this has to be done, we might as well get what we can out of it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts