Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What add on stuff do you like on your touring bike?
What could/would you do without?
I mean like fork braces, saddle bag organizers and such.

I went lookin at Road Glides today. After my next spinal fusion (neck)
I will probably pick one up. The wind on my Softail is taking a toll on
my riding enjoyment.

Just tryin to get an idea what I'm gettin into.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My god that's an impossible one to answer because there is SO MUCH available for Touring models just in the P&A catalog alone for everything I see that I don't need there is 3 I do. I bought my SG because I like the clean look but already have fairing lowers on order & am battling the urge to add a tour pak

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Can't say enough about heated grips, awesome if you ride in cold weather.

·
Breaker of Things
3,357 Posts
I like u my friend have trouble with my neck. My best upgrade comfort wise on my SG was my Klockwerks windshield. So much a buffeting killer! I would probably give up my brakes b4 I'd give up my windshield! Best upgrade possible IMHO. ?

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
If you are going to do any touring at all and especially after your recent surgery. I would recommend a riders backrest. :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I went from a Softail Deluxe to the Road Glide. Best move..ever
First you will notice much less wind drag on you and the bike. With a fork mounted windshield, it works like a sail on a boat. The wind move you and the bike so you are compensating all the time for cross winds, semi tail winds. The Road Glide is like its on 'rails'. Wind that hits the fairing not only doesn't move you around but actually pushes down on the front end holding it even tighter to the road. Less vibration from the wind going through the bars also helps. My first few attempt at touring on the Softail I could go about 350 miles and felt like I got pretty beat up. The RG, I could do easily 500 a day without all the fatigue, and the ride at 75-80 is smooth and comfortable. There is no 'trade up' from the RG (in my book anyway).
What I have done to make the long distance riding better from stock is a couple of things. some are preference other really make a difference. First, replace the stock seat, go with a nicer Mustang of in my case a Harley Long Boy, 2) replace the rear shocks. I got progressives 440's, made a huge difference in the ride and handling. 3) Stage one setup (Exhaust and Screamin Eagle intake, VH Ovals) and include a tuner. Doing the Stage one without the tuner is not that beneficial. My cruising RPMS are lower and response time at the twist is much smoother and quicker.
For safety, Moto Light LED lights for the front forks (about 600 with the LEDS), Custom Dynamics strobe brake LED's for the rear. Tour Pak of course of you are going with the RG Custom. I'm sure there are other things you could do , but those are the things I found most useful and had the greater impact on the overall drive on the long trips.
I also got the centerstand, which is one of the best add-ons I got, love it. Aside from the stability and ease of putting it up and coming off, you can get more gas in the tank with it standing straight up. More gas, more miles on the road.....

[URL=http://www.use.com/2013_05_20_1_94829224cc42fbbc5fb0]

[/URL]

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have bag organizers that come in handy and find when I have the touring pack on it comes in very handy to just toss everything in when I stop anywhere and I would be lost without my 3 pouch windshield bag.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The most recent thing I have bought for mine, and which I really like is the Bag organizers that attach to the top of the lids on the inside... It's a Harley part. Kind of like the cargo net idea. Lots of pockets that close with a flap and velcro...but it allows you to see what is in the pocket so you don't have to go thru everything searching. Plus they attach to the inside of the lid, so they are always available when the lids are open, and they don't take up any usable space.... I have stuff like my suspension air pump, lighter, flashlight, extra riding glasses camera..etc... a lot of the stuff I used to keep in the 3 pocket bag on the fairing.. Now it's easier to get and it doesn't rattle... or if it does, I no longer hear it like when it was in front of me.....

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,387 Posts
I have the tourpack organizer, lid organizers, and the sadlebag guard bags with the bottle holders, they are awesome.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just the advice I'm lookin for guys, keep it coming.

I have always been a bare bones kind of guy but that is going to have to change if I want to continue riding.

I thought about adding a windshield to the Softail but I can't find one I like.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
A couple of my thoughts:

Get a couple cheap eBay windshields and try different heights during different seasons, I personally run the short 6" dark tint year round.
Windshield bags are a must
Redi Gas Can
Small Tool Kit
Air Gauge
Shock Pump
Backrest

·
Registered
241 Posts
for me its my windshield, seat, and my daymaker headlight. i know alot of ppl dont like the daymaker......but you notice it in broad daylight going down the highway.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Like said before the P&A catalog is mostly for touring models..of course any new bike is just a starter kit..make it your own....must have though...painted inter fairing to start out with...like Roy said buy several "cheap" windshields till you find the right size and style..and you and the wife are not big people you can run the air in the shocks pretty low and get a decent ride I think..upgraded headlights and the brake light conversions kits..pretty much after that it's personal taste......you love the bike...nows the time to buy a new one...none being made next year...and get the bigger motor...Paris HD has several in stock and nice ones too....good luck....

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,095 Posts
Many have already been mentioned, here's mine.

Saddlebag Guard bags (one for water and stuff the other just for stuff)
Backrest (I have back issues)
Airhawk on the stock seat
Cruise
Good grips (I've been thinking about heated ones)
Windshield

I went from a Sporty to this RK which is night and day, I can run this bike 350 miles, stop, have something to eat and get right back on. Very comfy.

·
DILLIGAF
691 Posts
Everything posted so far is great!! Depending how tall you are and your leg length, if you are on the taller side you might want to look into the adapters that push your floor boards out and up a inch it doesnt sound like much but very noticeable, the rider back rest (imho) is very important. if you get high pegs look into adding the heel spurs to them they give you more options on changing up your sitting position on long runs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I find I don't use my cruise control a much as I thought I would but its a nice feature to have. I'm thinking hard about getting heated grips. The last job I was pouring at was 54 miles one way grim my house and at 430 am my hands would get chilly no matter what. Only other thing I have to throw in to the hat is I got highway pegs but found for me they don't get much use. Most of my miles are commuting tho

1 - 20 of 44 Posts