Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
kickstand grinder
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the older 95-2002? tbi has a two barrel type of throttle valves w/ seperate intake runners. The newer style has one throttle valve, w/ split type intake. I would think the old style is better performing as far as overall flow. Anybody has baseline numbers between the two on the same motor-? I couldn't find any info, a friend and myself were talking....? probably not much difference, but I'd like to see the dyno numbers

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,306 Posts
Magnetti-Marelli efi was 1995-1996 for one style, then 1997-2001 for the other. My friend's 2000 and I lined up one day and he never beat me, nor me him. The bikes were evenly paced in a drag race. The M-M Efi has a baro sensor, which Delphi doesn't. I think that makes for more adjustabilty for the pre-2006 bikes.

·
Retired citizen
26,065 Posts
The Magnetti-Marelli EFI is an excellent system when setup and adjusted correctly . There are more mechanical adjustments that can be made on the M-M units , the Delphi systems are adjusted thru ECM programming .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bringing up a old post....I wonder why people now dog the M&M injection. Yes its old, but it obviously has a good side to the injection system with more mechanical adjustments available. Mate a power commander 6 to it now makes more sense than totally swapping to a carburetor.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,151 Posts
The biggest problems with M&M injection are lack of good tuners (people) that know M&M systems and parts availability.
That and carbed bikes often got better gas mileage than the M&M bikes.

There's a reason M&M only lasted 6 years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The biggest problems with M&M injection are lack of good tuners (people) that know M&M systems and parts availability.
Fact is I found a pdf showing how to set up the M&M and a tuning manual. I had a old school mechanic a few months back install new high pressure fuel lines on my bike and he told me the M&M was one of the best injection systems harley made. He said people just do not know enough about them and just how adjustable they actually are. The old thread proves what I am saying by reading SCHMIDTY'S post. Now, I am not saying there aren't plenty of other options or that M&M is the only way to go I am just saying that with the proper researching the M&M had its day and can be worked on. I so far can find injectors and just about anything else I would need to just maintain the system when I do have a problem. Worst case scenario, if I run into a problem that I can not fix I will remove the M&M and put a carb on it. Fuel mileage is my last concern as when you build up a engine the mileage automatically goes down anyway.
Thanks for the comments, its better than the zero answers I got when I questioned about doing a carb swap..............

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,151 Posts
What same part lasts 6 yeas on a harley...without something newer and brighter and shiny coming up to attract new buyers.
Delphi FI has been used for 21 years now, and counting. CV carbs, 17 years.

These ain't jap bikes. If HD gets rid of something, there's a reason for it.

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,151 Posts
. I had a old school mechanic a few months back install new high pressure fuel lines on my bike and he told me the M&M was one of the best injection systems harley made.
That's funny right there. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,151 Posts
. Fuel mileage is my last concern as when you build up a engine the mileage automatically goes down anyway.
Thanks for the comments, its better than the zero answers I got when I questioned about doing a carb swap..............
Fuel mileage is indicative of how efficient the fuel system is

How much HP you making on that MM bike of yours?

·
nitro freak
1,313 Posts
the MM EFI isnt bad on a stock motor (when its working OK) but dosnt lend itself to bigger inch motors as the dont flow as well as even a OEM Delphi t body and nowhere near as much as a bigger HPI t body

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have been researching the M&M injection. It was used on the 1340 and 1450cc engines.
The difference in using it on one engine or the other takes the adjustment of 1 screw and a multi meter.
Other screw adjustments are for cold idle speed and warm slow idle speed. Whats left is controlled by the ECM map.
My EFI works perfectly and with the information I collected I'm confident I can keep it running just as good
for the future.
I would choose EFI over a carbed bike any day of the week. Mine starts at the touch of the button whether
its parked in a 120 degree barn or outside in the shade. I have a new fuel pump and new fuel lines, I see no reason to go to a carburetor nor do I plan to. Everybody has a better toy than the next person, so ignoring those who know nothing about the M&M is not a hard thing to do. Thanks to those who gave help or at least tried to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts