Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody in the touring section!! Finally got my sporty sold this morning and am starting to save up for a road king (probably end of summer, maybe sooner if i can sell my truck this summer ('79 f250 all original with 6'6" snow plow if anybody is interested:)) haha) but anyways. The amount i'm looking to spend, in my area it seems as though i will be able to get anywhere from an extremely low mile '03 model to an '06 model.

Few questions: anything i need to be looking for on these particular model years (other than the usual things: service records, breaks, tires, overall condition)?? to my understanding the 88 and 96 CI motors are pretty solid motors in these years and if I can find a nice one I'd go with a 96 CI motor but I'd be fine with an 88 CI as well.

How does the road king ride two up for long hauls? Fiance's about 5'8" and i'm 6'2" so just curious as to how we'd fit on it for comforts sake. (maybe combined weight of 360 between the two of us? 220 for me and i'm not stupid enough to ask her about hers so that's a rough estimate haha)

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Go with 07 and up. The 06 and below is well known to have cam tensioner issues plus it's a 5 spd. 07 came standard with 6 spd. For suspension the touring group is good, air shocks on back . 09 and above also had the frame re-designed, the bike is about 5 to 6 inches longer and sport bigger wheels and tires. Look around, people are always selling Harleys.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Rum Runner. The '06 has the hydraulic tensioners which helped with the issue, the '07 has compensator issues. I'd say '06 or '08 and above.

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Rum Runner. The '06 has the hydraulic tensioners which helped with the issue, the '07 has compensator issues. I'd say '06 or '08 and above.
Thanks for killin' me bro! CVMA and all!

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Not a problem man. And to the OP go out and ride a few. See what is comfortable for you and the Mrs... That is the only way you will truly know.

·
Wrencher
51 Posts
I've read the 07' has some problems with the 6th speed trans., and several dealers suggested going with the 08' because of that. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older 02-06' if it had low miles. Most folks don't replace the cam chain tensioner pads until 25-30k, spring tensioners at 50-60k. And you can do the hydraulic tensioner/oil pump at anytime for under $1000 if your worried about it. I really don't see the advantage to the 6 spd. trans., unless you plan to do a lot of touring using the expressways. To me there isn't a lot of difference in power between the 88" and 98".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone!! reading through the forums it seems like all of these motors are great except for one specific area or two (which isn't terrible) and like '09ultra said, it's not like every bike has that specific issue. but anyways, I plan on taking my time looking for this one (hopefully a bike i'll keep for many years), like i said, i don't mind waiting for the perfect deal.

here's another question, it seems like many road kings out there have leather/hard bags, did that come standard and the hard bags were added expense at dealer??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Last fall I bought my first HD a 06 Road King. You could take all of the things that I did not know and write a very large book. All I knew was that it was a RK and I wanted it. It has the 88 ci engine and a five speed transmission. My wife and are a similar in build to snortster108 and the RK delivers plenty of power. The Rk had 19K when I purchased it last fall and now has 24K miles. Uncertain about the tensioner. I do not particularly like the hard bags because they can not be locked but they are of nice size.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Only the Dynas got the new style hydraulic cam plate in 2006. FLH line and Softails didn't get them until 2007.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Last fall I bought my first HD a 06 Road King. You could take all of the things that I did not know and write a very large book. All I knew was that it was a RK and I wanted it. It has the 88 ci engine and a five speed transmission. My wife and are a similar in build to snortster108 and the RK delivers plenty of power. The Rk had 19K when I purchased it last fall and now has 24K miles. Uncertain about the tensioner. I do not particularly like the hard bags because they can not be locked but they are of nice size.
Nice Scoot! I got an 08 RK, I didn't like the idea of not being able to lock my bags. I did a little bit of searching & found these. Ponderosa Products Saddlebag Lid Locks | 406-589 | J&P Cycles
They should be waiting for me at the house when I get off this boat Wednesday. And hopefully I get some time to put them on by the weekend. Technology Electronic device

To snortster108. I just got mine as well, I like the ride of my RK. I have the 96 ci engine with 6 speed trans. I am very happy with mine.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.