Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got everything for a couplete oil change but the Harley dealer stated I can use 20-50 for all the oils. Engine, primary and trans. Is this correct? 2005 soft tail btw.
Thanks Tom

·
Registered
38,990 Posts
You can.

Are there better choices? Yes.

I use (Mobil 1) Dexron ATF in primary, and 75W-140 gear oil in the transmission.

The MoCo finally wised up and started selling their own 80W-140 gear oil after decades of people running something similar in their transmissions.

I also have a 2005 Softail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can.

Are there better choices? Yes.

I use (Mobil 1) Dexron ATF in primary, and 75W-140 gear oil in the transmission.

The MoCo finally wised up and started selling their own 80W-140 gear oil after decades of people running something similar in their transmissions.

I also have a 2005 Softail.

thanks guys. I’m going to run the same then. I felt it was off but being this is my first Harley I’ve maintained i didn’t question him. I really appreciate the feedback and input!!!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
So I got everything for a couplete oil change but the Harley dealer stated I can use 20-50 for all the oils. Engine, primary and trans. Is this correct? 2005 soft tail btw.
Thanks Tom

Tom; The reason for the short, to the point answers from the experienced members above, is that oil opinions are a never ending debate among Harley owners. If I say anymore, I would reignite the debate. :sleep:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny. It’s like that in the mustang world as well. I guess everyone is very passionate about their oil

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just switched to ATF fluid in my primary on a '08 FLSTF and it is noticebly quieter and smoother shifting. I also add a little more than the 1 QT recommended to primary, all the way to the bottom of the case lip.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I just switched to ATF fluid in my primary on a '08 FLSTF and it is noticebly quieter and smoother shifting. I also add a little more than the 1 QT recommended to primary, all the way to the bottom of the case lip.
Did you notice that Neutral is any harder to find? I ask because the No 1 cause of a difficult N, is usually an over-filled primary. The fluid level in the primary should just touch the bottom of the clutch basket. (Just under one quart of fluid). I noticed this "difficult Neutral" right after performing a 3 hole oil change, on my bike for the first time. Then did some research on this forum to find the answers. I used my Might-Vac to evacuate the excess fluid from the primary, Happy shifting and no more hunting for that green light.

Reactions: 03sonicstang

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for all the replys. It’s going to be so damn hot in Michigan. For the next 10 days, not sure how much riding I’m going to get in!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this is a rock fetch but when I bought my 2008 Deluxe last year, it was missing the driver backrest which would have been part of the Mustang Seats Wide Tripper (distressed brown). They want $217 for just the backrest. Does any other backrest fit?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts