Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I know there's a post out there on what to use on exhaust pipes after a boot melts on them. But, how about a tan, plastic grocery bag? - Sitting at a light today, I'm smelling melted plastic. I look down to see a tan, plastic shopping bag almost completely melted on to my lower V&H straight shot pipe.

By the time I got home, I was left with this thick, brown residue on the pipe. When my wife rests her boot on the upper pipe, I usually can remove the entire mark with a polish called, "Blue Magic". However, after several hours of rubbing and buffing, only a tiny bit finally wore off. I've now tried gasoline and acetone with no luck.

I'm down to either replacing the lower V&H slip on, or spending the next few days rubbing a jar of Blue Magic onto the pipe to finally wear it off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

- jp5882

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
I have never actually done it, but I have read many times that a nickel can be used as a scraper, and it will not scratch the chrome.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Steel wool!!!!!
#00 or good measure. All of that goop crap won't work like steel wool.

Other options.

Plastic scraper
A nickel (softer than chrome)

Brake cleaner (MAKE SURE though that it wont hurt the chrome. I am almost 100% sure it won't but test a spot way out of view.
Carb cleaner....same deal as above though too..

It can come off.. It has to. It is just a matter of what materials/products you need.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Awe that sucks...Let us know what works!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Had that happen a while back. After the heat shield cooled I was able to just peel the plastic off. I got lucky I guess. Hope you get yours off!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I cooked my Microfiber dress pants into my pipes. I scratched it off with a nickel. It took a while, but it worked. I had to fire the bike up every 10-15 minutes to keep the pipes hot and plastic soft.

Clap the nickel in a pair of vise grips to make it easier to work with.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I cooked my Microfiber dress pants into my pipes. I scratched it off with a nickel. It took a while, but it worked. I had to fire the bike up every 10-15 minutes to keep the pipes hot and plastic soft.

Clap the nickel in a pair of vise grips to make it easier to work with.
I swear you have an answer for every thread! Your becoming an awful lot like Dave and Schmidtys!! Good man....good man!

·
Señor Member
19,588 Posts
I'm with XL. Steel wool and some mothers metal polish, or turtle wax chrome polish. Really with the steel wool, you may not need polish at all. I promise this is faster and easier than a nickel. The nickel will work but you'll want to kill someone before its all off.

If your pipes are high quality, 00 is what you want. 000 if the chrome is weaker. If they can handle the 00 without clouding do it. 000 is a lot slower. You'll know immediately if the 00 is too abrasive for your chrome. Test on the BOTTOM of the pipe where you don't care.

I've done this a hundred times (although not on a plastic bag).

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Easy off oven cleaner. Get the toxic shit and not the safe stuff. It will take that plastic off in one wipe. It won't hurt your chrome. Use rubber gloved and do this outside.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great ideas!
The steel wool idea sounds great, as does the nickel idea. It's pretty thick in some areas, so I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of elbow grease on it no matter what.

A friend also just told me he used Easy-Off oven cleaner with a lot of success. Using something that caustic makes me nervous though. I think I'll go with the steel wool/nickel idea first.

Thanks again!

- jp5882

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Using something that caustic makes me nervous though.
Thanks again!- jp5882
Far better way to remove plastic (etc) do it outdoors. Use a softer material than "a nickle" something like a Formica sample, or a old credit card, to scrape the plastic off after it warmed up.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Easy off oven cleaner. Get the toxic shit and not the safe stuff. It will take that plastic off in one wipe. It won't hurt your chrome. Use rubber gloved and do this outside.

:thumb I've used this method a couple of times, it absolutely works.
What I did was leave it on overnight, hit it with the hose in the morning, and my melted on Frogg-Togg rain pants came right off...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts