Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how well these photos show my question. I just bought a used 09 Road King. It had a helmet lock bolted to the engine guard. But they didn't have a key. So I went to remove it today and it's got those "one-way" screws like on stalls in public restrooms. Can put them on but they're designed not to remove. Any ideas? Maybe a hacksaw perpendicular to the original slot?
ImageUploadedByMO Free1413236835.841352.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1413236857.047052.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
If your not trying to save it ,just drill it out. Start with a small bit and work your way up. A center punch will help you get started.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I don't know how well these photos show my question. I just bought a used 09 Road King. It had a helmet lock bolted to the engine guard. But they didn't have a key. So I went to remove it today and it's got those "one-way" screws like on stalls in public restrooms. Can put them on but they're designed not to remove. Any ideas? Maybe a hacksaw perpendicular to the original slot?
View attachment 271770 View attachment 271778

I've removed the MoCo helmet lock before. Use a four inch visegrip , grab just the top of the screwhead, turn one full turn and it'll be hand tight after that .

Stand the vicegrips up, not laying down. Grip with the nose only .

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And it's off. Vice grips did the trick.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1413243429.017381.jpg
Duh. My wife laughed at me because this was so easy I said I'm a lover not a wrencher.

Now she's laughing even harder.

·
Registered
40,772 Posts
Good skill to practice.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I've removed the MoCo helmet lock before. Use a four inch visegrip , grab just the top of the screwhead, turn one full turn and it'll be hand tight after that .

Stand the vicegrips up, not laying down. Grip with the nose only .

Nice job on explaining the tip. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to describe in text without overdoing it.

--

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
40,772 Posts
Theres lots of things I own that would get me arrested in California. :laugh

But pot's legal there, go figure. :loco

·
Registered
618 Posts
Those will get you arrested here in California for procession of burglar tools.
AZ law says it's only illegal if you have them during the commission of a felony. I carried a home made set at my old job and my bosses all were certified officers.

sorry just can't help rub in how awesome AZ is!

I had a knock off helmet lock but I didn't tighten the screws much so when I took it off it just took a firm push on the screwdriver. +1 on vice grips though, they've gotten a lot of screws and bolts out for me! it's just easy to cause collateral damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts