Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open air filters, some people like the rain sock, and some don't. Some have had problems and some have not.

My question is to the guys that have tore down an engine that has used an open filter for a lot of miles (you fill in the miles), have you seen any bad wear patterns on any parts, or any wear that could have been caused by the ingestion of water or water and road grime?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the amount of abnormal wear on a engine is directly proportional to how much dirt the engine has digested.
This is true, but wandering if any mechanics/techs have seen more/unusual wear with an open filter, when they tear an engine down.

·
Earth-bound Misfit
624 Posts
By open filter, do you mean an exposed filter or do you mean no filter like a velocity stack?

I've been running a K&N filter on my Sportster for 8k. The only problem I've seen is a lot of carbon on the piston crowns...but this is due, I feel, to the crankcase venting into the inlet.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By open filter, do you mean an exposed filter or do you mean no filter like a velocity stack?

I've been running a K&N filter on my Sportster for 8k. The only problem I've seen is a lot of carbon on the piston crowns...but this is due, I feel, to the crankcase venting into the inlet.
Just an open air cleaner, like the torpedo shaped ones ya see on lots of bikes.

Some say when riding in the rain they have problems, some say they don't.

Ever had a carb bowl get full of water and/or road grime, and have to tear it apart.

Just wondering upon tear down has anyone ever seen any problems related to this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
After 43,000 of running an open filter I had head work done. No blame of the filter I wanted a port job. My wrench uses cometic MLS gaskets so he did not have to remove the jugs. From looking in my cyclinders all looked perfect. I've ridden in some rain that cars pulled over for. I put on my flashers and kept going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts