Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G’day everyone. Before I get into it, I don’t wanna hear “bro use the search, bro this topic has millions of threads bro” unless you can direct me to the exact page in the exact thread that answers my concerns and have already considered that I thought of the complex idea of using the search.

I’m looking at an open primary for my twin cam and I know all the components are alloy or have been rust proofed in some way. My concern is the exposed stator, crank sensor and magneto.

I was thinking of sandblasting and painting the magneto to rust proof it. Has anyone seen, heard or done anything to protect this part from the elements?

Im not sure about the crank sensor. I was thinking it might be okay to leave alone. I figured if it’s constantly getting hot, dirty oil with clutch dust and minute particles of alloy/steel swished around onto it in a stock oiled chain drive primary, a bit of water and dust exposure in an open belt primary should be fine. Any thoughts or ideas on this one?

And for the stator, how does that fair with exposure? Can that be painted? Not sandblasted obviously but sprayed with a can of high temp spray paint? Any ideas on this one?

Anything would be awesome, cheers in advance

·
Registered
98 Posts
How about a closed primary system?

I'm not sure what is available for your model year.

Mine is a 99 EVO with a closed primary. In other words, you'd never know that it's a dry belt drive to just look at it. A narrow belt and pulley under the stock outer cover.

I'm not sure, but I believe that it's a BDL brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about a closed primary system?

I'm not sure what is available for your model year.

Mine is a 99 EVO with a closed primary. In other words, you'd never know that it's a dry belt drive to just look at it. A narrow belt and pulley under the stock outer cover.

I'm not sure, but I believe that it's a BDL brand.
I was originally thinking that. I’ve actually got the closed belt setup in my eBay specifically for my bike but I like the setup of the ~3” open belt.

I kind of think open vs closed belt - both exposed to some form of dust, so water’s sort of the major difference. I can stop the magneto rusting but I’m not sure how the stator would hold up in the rain. I travel 40 minutes each way to and from work and during winter that involves heavy rain. Plus I do about 30-40,000 KMs per year.

I know it makes more sense to just enclose it all but if it’s doable to have it open, I’d much prefer it. I appreciate your help though :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
No worries.
There are a couple of big vendors, BDL and Rivera comes to mind. I'm pretty sure that these vendors source most of the eBay listings.

The limited eBay ads don't contain enough info to make any decisions.

One thing my experience tells me that every single open belt system installed has faced and overcame the same concerns as yours.

Years ago I bought a Energy One clutch plate set up from Rivera and they were very helpful on the phone.

Good luck on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts